October 15, 2006

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 1_more_PitBull, Jul 15, 2006.

?

Would you come out to support this cause?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day

I'm going to be holden an event in Raleigh this day. Just don't know where right off hand. I have just become the North Carolina State Leader for Remembering Our Babies.

I want to have an event with singers and other thing to remember our loved ones. Anything you can think of will help me out lots. I'm new at this but it means a lot to me as most of you know why.

Any ideas you can come up with will be most thankfull. What would make you come out to my event? Also I have asked Give'me the Mike winner Holland Marie if she could sing I just have not heard back from her yet.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. 1_more_PitBull

I forgot to put there will also be a candle light service later that night. More info to come.

An overwhelming number of parents suffer Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss worldwide every year and are left to grieve alone. Sometimes this is by choice, but most likely because our society does not know how to deal with this type of loss, as common at it is. This day will bring our losses to a new awareness, hopefully offering support and education to those who suffer in silence as well as an insight to those who want to help their loved ones in this time of need.

3. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

You got my support, Pit.

4. 1_more_PitBull

Thanks Blusdrmr. :D

5. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I will definetely be there. Let me know what I can do to help! I dont have a lot of experiece, but I do have extra time!!! So count me in!

That is my oldests bday, so it is very symbolic!

6. 1_more_PitBull

Does anyone know of somewhere I can rent or will let me hold this event there for free?

7. ksmahgrts

ksmahgrts Well-Known Member

what are your space needs? indoor? outdoor? anticipated # of people? i have a few contacts in raleigh and this is an event i'd love to support. to attract a big crowd, i would have a combination of entertainment and education.

some ideas for planning & running the event:

*enlist local ob/gyn offices & hospital maternity wards to man booths and provide free clinics on healthy pregnancy, infant mortality, SIDS, RSV, etc.

*have a focus session just for dads on caring for pregnant wives & new arrivals, dealing with loss/supporting mom after a loss. also osome things for siblings.

*the american red cross will often do health screenings (blood pressure, etc, which goes hand in hand with a healthy pregnancy).

*durable medical supply/home health places would be another place to invite to have booths/clinics.

*definitely get with drug reps - as they're always looking to get their names out there - which means lots of free stuff and $$ sponsorship for the event.

*contact the colleges & universities to see if their counseling/social work departments would like to be on hand to make a presentation on grief and recovering from loss. maybe run a few group sessions and also to provide info on local resources.

*i'm sure the march of dimes would love to know about the event - maybe co-sponsor?

*local MOMs groups and the junior league would be a good place for volunteers to work the day of the event.

*creative memories reps may have great ideas and run a workshop or booth on how to honor and remember.

*hold a live or silent auction with donated goods. local quilting/stitching groups could donate blankets, quilts, etc. you could also do an on-site rememberence quilt where families could make a square.

*invite someone from Newborns In Need - i've got info for our local group.

*i'd have a stage with live music going all day. lots of folks are willing to donate their time and talent for a worthy cause. (or get those drug reps to give you $$ for perfomance fees!)

*get a good contact at one of the local TV stations and they may co-sponsor the event as well - they've got access to all the equipment you'd need for a stage/sound system, etc. they'd also provide free publicity!

*contact family friendly food vendors to sell snacks and lunch items

those are just a few things from my experience that would make a successful event. i'm sure i'll think of more later on.

good luck - this is an often overlooked issue - i know you'll touch a lot of women and families!

just one more thing though if you're running the entire event... (please take this in the kind spirit in which it's offered but...) please have someone do your writing for publicity. i'd be happy to help.

8. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

You can count me in Pit. I used to help run a support group for infant loss. Also, back home, every August the local hospital holds a memorial service for all babies that passed away in the past year. We used to go every year, not only because we had a loss, but also to show our support to others who have and to show them that they CAN survive. It helped allot of people to see that we were 'ok' now. Although it's something you never forget, you do move on. Let me know how I can help you. :)

9. 1_more_PitBull

Ksm: I was thinking of it being outdoors, beens Oct. has nice weather. I'm going to talk with a lady from Wake Med who works in the NICU that I met when Chase & Chance were there. She went through the same stuff I did 17 years ago. Her twins were born at 24 weeks. If you would like to help me that would be great just PM me.

Anyone that would like to help just PM me and we can get this thing started.

As for publicity I was going to have the News stations and radio stations talk about the event.

Also that day ask people to ride with their headlights on all day.
    And maybe wear something pink or blue beens thats the colors of Infant and Pregnancy Loss.

10. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I will mark this on my calendar, (also hubby's b-day) and see what is going on at that time and try to come. Something like that would hit home for me due to us having several losses during our marriage.

11. ksmahgrts

would be nice if a local bead store would donate supplies. parents and kids could make remembrance jewelry.

12. 1_more_PitBull

I have a DJ email me with this:

We are currently available to DJ/provide sound for your Candle Lighting Service on Oct. 15th in Raleigh, N.C. Considering the time of year and location we are able to provide our services for $300. Also, because we know that you want the very best for your Candle Lighting Service, I will throw in two more speakers for FREE.

13. 1_more_PitBull

KSM: Can you write me up something to email people asking for their Co-Sponsorship.
    Here are some names I have came up with you all tell me what you like:
    "Little feet make bigger inprints"
    "You light my life"
    "Love Forever"
    "Small life, not a small Loss"

I can't really think of any good ones, any ideas?

14. ksmahgrts

$300 for how long?

15. 1_more_PitBull

He didn't say

"I will throw in two more speakers for FREE. This quote is all inclusive. Keep in mind, we guarantee to beat any of our competitor’s quotes by at least 10%. However, as you stated, you are working on a tight budget. I just want you to know that I am willing to work with you in anyway possible to help out this great cause. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at any time"

"As with most DJ companies our prices change according to the season, and how much work we have lined up. Our competitors can charge up to $300 per hour; our price is always more reasonable."

""As a proud member of the National Association of Mobile Entertainers, we are aware that some people are working within a tight budget, and when it comes time to find a DJ some companies can get quite expensive. This is why I would like to provide you with a more affordable option, but even better service.

Our music library has passed the 13,500 title mark, and continues to grow daily. We have everything from Hip-Hop and R&B to Country; Rock & Roll to Smooth Jazz; All-Time Favorites to Salsa and Meringue; the list goes on. We make sure to have all the newest hits each and every time we arrive at an event, and we would love to personalize a play list to your specific wants and needs. This extensive library, combined with our top-of-the-line equipment, ensures that each one of your guests will never miss a beat. For more information about our music and equipment find us on the web at http://www.NoRegretProductions.com. ""

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

sorry, but i find that kinda lame. if he has equipment costs specific to the event: fine. otherwise, he should be willing to DONATE his time. seems to be trolling for a paying gig, if you ask me....just MHO....

17. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

all of grits' suggestions are good. seems a tad overwhelming at first, i'm sure...but, one step at a time. you'll be surprised at how people come out of the woodwork for stuff like this....

unc children's hospital is another possible resource, by the way.

i've been involved in a few charity/media events in my day...i'm going to try to come up with a couple of ideas of my own, and will be in touch with you....

18. ksmahgrts

i'm with dangerboy on the lame DJ. i'm sure someone would donate their time. try mike at G105. bob's a sucker for kids :D

and pit - i'm more than happy to help you come up with a letter!

UNC hospitals is a terrific idea. duke childrens hospital is also fantastic and i know an amazing volunteer and big time donor over there. in fact, we're having lunch the last week of this month and i'll mention your event.

hope my post didn't overwhelm :oops: i just get on a roll and want to put as many ideas as i can out there. before doing any major planning, i'd start with a committee. then you can delegate tasks to each member (ok sue - you have bands from 10-12, melissa - you're in charge of food vendors, etc) and just check your list off as they complete tasks. i'm sure your hands are full enough with the kiddos at home!

i'm out of town for the rest of the weekend ( :lol: i'm so lame for being on the laptop now!) but will drop you a PM with my contact info.

19. 1_more_PitBull

Thanks Dangerboy! He said he could make it fit to my needs. Whatever that means? I have not emailed him back. Like you said I'm kind of looking someone to donate their time and equipment.

But the more I think of this it looks like it will have to be held in a church or on the steps of the state house without music. I can't find anywhere to rent. Maybe after Monday when everything is open I can find somewhere.

20. ksmahgrts

i have the perfect place in mind... provided there isn't a wedding. i've got an email in to a friend. :)