Offer to Donate Property for Cleveland Park

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by barney726, Feb 10, 2017.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

certdude likes this.
  2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have seen the news a couple of times with accidents there. I wonder if they will put a traffic light or do as they did at Josephine/Shilo at Cornwallis. Make it a 4 way stop.

I love the details you put into your post. If they put in the new substation will it help with power outages in our area, I know my street loses power when the whole rest of the area is still lite

Auxie and jesse82nc like this.
  3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

yes rocky, we'll be in the front of the line for power restoration.

Rockyv58 and jesse82nc like this.
  4. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Can somebody clarify that the future development projects slated for the intersection of Polenta and Matthews Road will include:

- a public park
    - a Duke Energy Substation
    - a new subdivision

Is ALL that going on within those 3 open parcels of land? I'm not clear on this.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  5. cynadon

somewhat

6. jesse82nc

Proposed, yes.
    upload_2017-2-17_12-8-36.png

cynadon likes this.
  7. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thank you, that's a whole lot clearer. A public park doesn't make much sense to me on that particular property, with that power line seemingly going right through it, and also with that big substation across the street from it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Thats a big freaken substation for a minor voltage change, and local distribution. They ought to take half that land and make a park out of it.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I don't know... you wouldn't see me playing under or near those Cancer causing power lines!!!

10. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Like it was discussed here before, the lady that owns the prospective park property that offered it to the county, also owns the large tract that will be sold to developers soon. The public park, if developed, would just be there to be a draw for the new homes being built, rather than having the ugly mega substation be a deficit to prospective home buyers. It's a "trade-off" deal, and she gets a nice tax benefit to boot. And the substation infrastructure gets built to service even more new subdivisions. That's just in my humble opinion, mind you.

11. jesse82nc

Agreed, it's much larger than needed. Most substations of similar voltage changes are about 5-6 acres.
    duke2.JPG duke1.JPG duke4.JPG

12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thank you for those excellent comparative maps! When compared to the substation in Raleigh, the proposed Matthews substation is VERY LARGE - roughly 4 times the size of Raleigh's and far larger than any rural area would ever need. Does it seem to anybody else that this project went "under the radar", while the proposed park was very visibly publicized? And why? Personally, I think that the site location there on Matthews and Polenta for a large substation is not the best location for the Cleveland community, as it immediately industrializes a rural area. My husband, who works at a data center, believes that the large electrical capacity of the Matthews substation could reasonably support some type of very large future facilities - such as "data centers", another "Grifols type" or "Talecris" facility, or maybe even something less desirable, and that Duke Energy is building out the infrastructure now to possibly attract future businesses - not necessarily a bad thing - but I believe that might be the real reason why they're building a substation of that size out here right now. I will need to research the topic, but it would be interesting to know the types of businesses that these large substations typically service. And I don't believe for one minute that the relatively sudden infrastructure building of that large substation after many years, has much to do with "remediating power outages" in Cleveland either, since there's no real profit in that for them. Again, just my humble opinion, but maybe worth tracking this.

Auxie likes this.
  13. cynadon

They purchased a large property so they don't have to build drainage ponds. Its an environmental thing.

certdude likes this.
  14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Just an additional note: Fuquay Varina just passed a proposal for a Duke electrical substation to be built on 12 acres, to improve service from Hwy 55 in Fuquay Varina to Holly Springs - but the voltage of the Fuquay substation will be 115 kilovolts, whereas the Matthews Cleveland substation will be 230 kilovolts. So this begs the question: why is our little unincorporated, rural town suddenly getting an electrical substation, in the middle of former tobacco fields and cow pastures, with even more voltage capacity than the one they're planning to build in Fuquay that will service not only Fuquay Varina, but Holly Springs too? Either developers are planning to build a massive amount of subdivisions in Cleveland, or something very big is coming down the pike. But what?

15. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Sorry, "young Dwight Yoakam" not sure I follow you.

16. cynadon

they have to catch the runoff water on small lots. This property is large enough to allow grass to handle the water. The engineer said its cheaper to mow grass than maintain catch basins.

17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I see what you mean now, thanks.

18. jesse82nc

Funny you should mention those types of new development. The Novo Nordisk $2B expansion will need about 7-8MW, It's an incredibly immense project with other 800k sq ft and 80 foot tall tanks on site. But they are building a dedicated substation on site for that direct from the 230kV lines nearby. And they will have a 10MW co-gen station on site as well.

If you do some searching around though, you will see that the Cleveland area is lacking in a substation and the transmission lines do travel quite far to get to our area by comparison to other areas nearby.

19. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

So, you're saying that Novo Nordisk will be tapping into the 230kV lines that will be going to their own dedicated substation. Wow, that does put the power capability into perspective! Of course, the building of our Matthews Cleveland 230kV substation doesn't necessarily mean that a large company will tap into the lines there, it just might mean that it'll go to service increased populations in dense, new subdivisions. So, I guess what I'm still wondering is - what is it that actually determines whether a 115kV substation will be built as opposed to a 230kV? Either way you slice it, a new 230kV substation has got to mean phenomenal future growth, whether or not that growth turns out to be "densely residential" or "power-thirsty commercial", would be anybody's guess right now.

20. cynadon

The engineer said Cleveland does not have adequate power now. Not to mention future needs.