Old mattress disposal?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Meaninglessphoto, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Meaninglessphoto

Meaninglessphoto Active Member

Hey guys, in an effort to get rid of 3 old twin mattresses and a box spring to make space in my garage, im having issues haha. Salvation Army wont take em (due to tiny stains) and I dont have the time to wait on Craigslist.

My question is, does anybody know of a place around here that does free mattress disposal? I dont have a dump sticker, so thats out of the question. I just need to get em out within the next few days if possible. Thanks!

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If I remember right, you don't need a sticker, but will have to pay a fee at the dump.

3. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

That's right. Take them to the landfill, get the vehicle weighed on the way in, dump them, get weighed again and pay (next to nothing). I took an old futon mattress there and old carpet. No sweat.

If you don't want to haul them, I would bet if you put them by the road with a free sign someone would take them off of your hands.

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

get a burn permit.....for leaves and yard debris. If the mattress happens to be in the yard......oh well

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Yes, we'd rather have the caustic elements in our ground water, thank you very much.

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

contact the Obamas... after Nov they be looking for some furniture..PM Bob F.. he knows them quite well.

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Don't burn them. The black smoke will bring you attention that you may not want. If you must throw them away the landfill is equipped to take them at low cost.

If they aren't too bad what about a yard sale?

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I know it's true, but man .. we used to burn EVERYTHING when I lived in PA. Furniture, trash, a piano .. my favorite sweatshirt (ok, that was an accident). Grand massive bonfires.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Frikin Tree Huggers! :mrgreen:

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Or take it to the squirrel's house and bury it.

11. Meaninglessphoto

Meaninglessphoto Active Member

hahah thanks for the help guys. I decided to bite the bullet and throw em on Craigslist. I got a few good tips and if they aren't gone by Monday, then I will throw em out at a local dump by me.