Old Western Electric telephone

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

About two months ago I bought an old Western Electric telephone off of e-bay. The guy swears up and down that it works. I can maybe get a busy signal. But I got to thinking. My phone service is coming through Spectrum cable through the modem. What I am thinking is that my telephone was produced back in the 70's still using the old analog technology, But with my phone coming through my cable it is coming in as digital. So the phone is probably freaking out not knowing what to do. Does my hypothesis sound reasonable? And any suggestions on how to test my hypothesis

Attached Files:

2. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Most old phones are analog, the whole POTS system is that. You are correct the new signals via VOIP (how spectrum works). That said, the modem spectrum connects phones to, should convert the signal types. All phones are expected to be analog and there for any digital phone systems need to have a converter. So I dont think thats the issue. More so something is broke somewhere, not that its not "talking" properly.

Maybe get a different phone and test your modem? And maybe try someone elses modem and/or phone line with your phone? Could just as easily be the modem instead of the phone.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have not tried it with a different modem yet. Want to first see if anyone still is using maybe century link and try it on an old style land line, I do have an old ITT phone that I am using and tried it with the same phone cords on the same jacks I plan on using with my western electric and the ITT works

Attached Files:

4. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

SOmething I forgot, if you have a century link box on your house, you can open the "customer" part of it, and there will be a live jack (required). Test it on that, should at least give you dial tone.