only 27, Amy Winehouse dead!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Sad story, but her talent was way overblown. I understand emulating your idols, but she was a Jewish girl with a British accent who sang an exaggerated imitation of black girls from an American ghetto. She was a contrived product of a music industry who ignored her lack of personal character. There are hundreds if not thousands on Youtube who, given the same opportunity, could have done much better.

What I can't understand is how someone lacks the friendship to prevent this. Everyone saw it coming. Layne Staley is a prime example. He KNEW he was dying from heroin addiction ...saying just weeks before he died "I never wanted my life to end this way", but no one helped him. If it was my child or best friend, I would lock them in a homemade prison cell until they were clean and healthy. They might hate me later and not speak to me for years, but at least I could say I tried.

2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Over the top!

:cheers:

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I heard Dangerboy make a reference to the 27 club earlier and didn't know what he was talking about...... thanks for the link.

4. It's what I call "Mike Tyson Syndrome". After Cus D'amato died, No one ever told Mike "NO,you can't do that!" Amy Winehouse's father used her fame to get his own record deal and her mother and hanger-on husband enjoyed the lifestyle her celebrity provided. I'm guessing she used drugs to escape the train wreck that had become her life.

5. Amy Winehouse had talent. Charlie Sheen has a last name. There will be endless tweets from celebs saying how great he was, Entertainment Tonight (which no one ever watches anymore,) will have a story about his life, and that be the end of it. I'm actually surprised at the negative vibe of this thread. Did people act like this when Jim Morrison, Hendrix, and Janice Joplin died from drug overdoses?

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

LOL, for one thing to even lump her in with Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin is something outta Sherry's book of posts, ya gone to far with this one TWSS.

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

:iagree:.....EMPHATICALLY!!!!

About lumping Winehouse with LEGENDS such as those. I don't think Sherry would do THAT.....she knows her Rock n Roll!!!!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just another dead rocker. Live Hard, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse

9. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

That's right, do whatever it takes to help them!!!

10. That wasn't my intention at all. Hendrix is the greatest electric guitar play ever, Morrison was a absolute lyrical genius, and Joplin is on a very short list of singers who could make you feel the pain she was going through. Winehouse was a talented singer and songwriter, but I never meant to put her in the same class as the other three. My bad.

Sorry I got your monkey in a buzz. :lol:

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

no problem, sherry.

J/K, couldn't resist temptation. lol

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I def agree about doing whatever it takes to help a friend but please be careful. My BF in college was murdered by his HS friend trying to intervene and get him off Heroine. His "friend" is the one who murdered him while said friend was in a drug-induced stupor. So now, we have a dead 22 year old (at the time), a guy behind bars for quite some time and TWO devastated families and sets of friends. It was absolutely horrible. RIP, Craig. :(

13. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

the "27 club" list is longer than hendrix morrison joplin. much longer. click the link and see. i don't know that she had the cultural impact of a robert johnson or brian jones, a founding member of the grateful dead or of kurt cobain, but she belongs in the club by definition.

ps the 27 club wiki page is now locked "until disputes have been resolved". apparently enough people think she doesn't belong to have caused a disagreement...

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I love Amy's music. She had mixed current with retro 60's. I hate she had a drug problem and she's gone at 26 years old. She was very talented. I watched her not long ago on You Tube at a concert and she was wasted. I could tell then she was not going to be around long.

15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

This morning on the news they were trying to compare her to Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, and Cobain. They all died at 27 also but, they were saying the others all had multiple records out by the time they died all she has was one album out.

I actually never heard of any of her music. But IMHO how can they compare her to them.

16. dangerboy

well, i only know one song of hers (rehab, no no no), but she won 5 grammys. she was successful, a musician, and 27 when she died a tragic death. comparison = valid.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Amy, has at least 2 1/2 albums out. Her first "Frank" started her rise to fame, followed by her multi Grammy album Back to Black. I also have Back to Black "B Sides", which was basically the stuff that did not make the original, but I still enjoyed it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

How about the comparisons to Kurt Cobain? They, as a group only had 3 albums, with Nevermind being a blockbuster. I think he is maybe not the greatest on the list but I think he definitely belongs in the group. He also has a dedicated museum setting in the Experience Music Project in Seattle, and it has been a few years but a feature at the Rock-n-Roll hall of fame in Cleveland.

Like I said, as a human she was a wreck, but she had talent and I have no issue with her being in the "27" club, other than I wish it was the "77" club.

19. dangerboy

the original member of the 27 club only ever recorded 29 songs, but his influence has spanned almost 75 years, most of the other people on the 27 club list, and almost as many rock stars as you can name from the last 50 years.

quality > quantity

20. Some of you are taking this comparison thing way too far. Just because someone says that she joins a list with Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, and Hendrix already on it doesn't mean they are saying that she is as good as they were. Jim Plunkett is on the list on Super Bowl winning QB's, which also include Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, and Johnny Unitas. Jim Plunkett was a scrub compared to those other three and everyone knows it, but the fact remains that he is on the list.

Some of you need to stop running around from thread to thread looking for something to argue about.