Petition to Oppose Parks and Recreation Service Tax District

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JPQuick, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

It will cost MUCH more to build the facilities than to purchase the property! And we'll be the ones that pay for that also! We should get to vote on this and not just have it rammed down our throats.
    GO TO THE NEXT COMMUNITY MEETING AND LET YOUR IDEAS BE HEARD. The next Meeting is on February 25th. Everyone attending will have the opportunity of voicing their opinion!

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I just really can't afford another tax at the moment!! DID YOU SEE how much the 2019 revaluation raised the prices on the homes in the Cleveland Area??? Holy Cow, My mortgage is going to go up big time because of the reval. alone!!! Another tax for a park would break me...… Oh and I could really care less for a dog park....I drove up near the dog park in Raleigh and I smelled the disgusting stench of Pee a mile before I got there... Yuk!!! JMHO

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

They haven't released the new tax rates yet, so how would you know how much your 2019 taxes would go up? After they do a revaluation, they adjust the tax rates, typically lower them. Why would your mortgage go up from the revaluation? If anything, you might have had PMI before and if your value went up, you could owe less than 80% now and it would actually go down.

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ugh, really? As Jesse pointed out, you seem to be uninformed. Home values went up, taxes haven't (yet, if at all). Home value has no effect on mortgage. As for the dog park smell, I doubt it.

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

No PMI,,,,,,,,if the tax rate stays the same then my property tax will be more ... divided by 12 months...add to my mortgage payment and yes my mortgage payment is more......Funny how people seem to like to argue and not have feelings about anyone elses opinion...….. YEA, you all are right...…. I just walk away and let you all argue and think you know it all...…….And yes, a pet park is smelly...…….YES, I am very informed….There has to be a better way to go about things without charging everyone in the district...…..this is not a district with just working class …...there are all walks of life in this district and we need to be sensitive of the money of others too!!! JMHO

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  6. Bubba

Bubba Well-Known Member

I know I will stir up a hornets nest but that's freedom of speech, here goes. I am not for this Parks and Recreation because of numerous things. Another tax....will it stay at .04 or be increase once it is passed like the proposed Fire tax was ….they said it was suppose to be .05 and now we are at .0725... they kinda slide that one by us. Why should the residents pay for this...the developers/large landowners(used to be farms) are the ones making huge profits building in the Cleveland /McLemore community. I am for progress but we must first start with roads that will accommodate traffic, Cleveland School Rd (SR1010) was first built as a market road for wagons and buggies(two lanes) how do we improve this(turning lanes) with the increased population we now have we should have four lane roads on our main streets thru out the community...do we...no.....only at that quagmire we call 40/42. Who is going to benefit most from these parks....developers....real estate agencies....large landowners(family farms that have been sold off for subdivisions).

7. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Where is the money coming from for the improvements on the property; Sports Fields, parking, bathrooms, swimming pool, buildings? The cost for the property is minor compared to the improvements taxes that will then be added!

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

This has been answered a number of times in this thread and is addressed in the 4forparks.com FAQ.

https://4forparks.com/f-a-q/

9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Agree on most counts, except for opposition to the park. Farmers and holders of large tracts of family land don't always have a big 401k retirement plan, so they develop their property. Their prerogative, but the County is culpable for ensuring this development does not adversely impact the area it occurs in. This doesn't really happen on a scale that most folks would consider adequate, but it meets JoCo standards. Due to JoCo being two very different areas (west vs. east) their is no possibility for special rules for our area. It is one size fits all for the most part. This is why many people know incorporating the immediate area is the only way to exercise the control you seek.

Of course, a new park would benefit future developers. But it also benefits the general population as well. Another subdivision only benefits the developers and no one else aside from the immediate residents. The park will increase home values across the board, but when people only see higher taxes they miss the other point...making money off your house. If you plan to be buried in the back yard this won't help you, but if you plan on moving up or out it will.

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I guess we're splitting hairs about the mortgage, but if taxes go up then your taxes go up not your mortgage. I would imagine your principle and interest would stay the same.

It is not a district will accident prone people who set their house on fire every year either, but we have a fire district tax.

11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I believe the references to mortgage increases are actually the escrow account set up with the mortgage holder to pay taxes and insurance, equal payments of which are added to the actual mortgage payments to them.

robbie likes this.
  12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

that is absolutely correct and then add this tax, well geez...…. okay, so I bust my arse to make a paycheck, then the federal taxes come out, then the state taxes come out, then the county taxes my property, and the fire district taxes me (that is important so not arguing that), and now the district wants taxes for parks.... WHOA...…… how will I pay my bills? Every little amount, no matter how little hurts...…..I would gladly pay to get in the park if I ever wanted to go... I don't want to pay a tax on this forever...…….And yes, I will be buried in my backyard, lol......