Pizza Stone

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Pizza stones don't become "seasoned" for nonstick purposes like pans. They're porous, which is why they absorb the moisture from the pizza crust while it cooks, giving it crispness.

Being porous, if you put them in detergent, they'll absorb the detergent, and your pizzas will taste like soap.

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Yes..that's why when you buy one they tell you to wash with water only....duhhhhh. I've got a scrub brush and scrapper and just wash mine with water!

3. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

From the Pampered Chef website:

I have many PC stones. They're great, especially the little one that goes in the toaster oven. I use mine almost daily so it is nearly black now!! Oh, and I wash them with a brush and VERY HOT water only. :D

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Well you see I was doing a regular load of dishes (stainless steel pans) and was using the brillo pad and well the stone was sitting there diirty so it got the brillo pad as well.

tassy has done the same thing to my cast iron, in the past, so I guess we are even in that aspect.

Craig

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, my stuff does NOT taste like soap. I'm sure it doesn't have time to absorb it with a quick swipe and rinse like I do. But to each his own.

6. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Actually, you don't need a fancy "pizza stone". A flooring store should be able to supply you with unglazed quarry tile. Just make sure it's lead-free. You can line your oven rack with it (leave a 2" gap at the edges for heat distribution) and make your own pizza oven. Then you won't have to worry about trying to deposit your 16 inch pizza precisely onto a 16 inch round stone.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I got ours free with greenpoints a few years ago!

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my greenpoints ...

9. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I have had a PC pizza stone for a while now and it's never cracked. It is glazed over pretty good and is black on top too! At first it drove me nuts to not wash it but once it got seasoned good, hot water and a good scrubing cleans it up nicely. And I don't preheat mine. It would be too freaking hot to spread dough on a hot stone! OUCH!:shock: :lol:

10. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

See I ain't from Jersey or New York... I'm just a simple hillbilly southern gal that would have burnt my poor finger tips if it wasn't for you good ole fellas telling me I was going to do it wrong! :lol: :lol:

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

LMAO! :lol: