Position on SOPA

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Hught, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Webmaster, I am curious on your position regarding SOPA?

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I just saw the note from the founder of Wikapedia, told kids to get their homework done early because it is going black Wednsday.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

It's a total bag of snakes. While I can get behind the umbrella idea of protecting the rights of copyrighted material owners, the methods being proposed through legislation open up huge opportunities for unintended consequences. I'd prefer they backed away from the edge of the SOPA cliff and let cooler heads prevail. 8)

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Pretty much my position, I think Piracy is theft (shock) but this looks like legislation by Lobiest. Folks on both sides of the aisle are against it.

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm a programmer, so you can pretty much guess my position on piracy (the words disemboweling and castration come to mind). But, no, I don't want the government to "fix" the problem. Every time the government fixes anything it just gets worse.

But the question still remains, what are your plans for 4042 on Wednesday? Are you considering joining the voluntary black out?

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Possibly, if I had a site big enough that I felt doing so could send a message (not that they'd heed it, but it would make me feel better).

If I still had ClaytonOnline, probably not. No one would notice, no one would care.

But if I had a site like 4042, I probably would. There's enough traffic here to get some to contact their reps in DC.

9. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That is a point. Then it would depend on what's more important, your ideals or your income.

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

FYI

The list of websites going dark tomorrow is out and getting longer...

http://sopastrike.com/

Note: Twitter, even though it is on the list, has said it will not go dark. **** Costolo, Twitter's CEO, said he stands against SOPA, but doesn't feel that shutting down Twitter for the day would be in the best interests of their users.

11. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Go darken your own website........ If I was Webbie I would do what Google is doing and put a link. Why give users the chance to go elsewhere.

With that said..... My plans for my own website is to be blacked out.

12. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

My websites are dark! what about yours Cliffie?

I would have thought at least you would have been suggesting to the real webbie that he should do something like a google blackout. Of course because he is the real webbie it appears he is using his ad space for the protest.........

Congrats to the Webmaster for getting the word out and still allowing a place for us to hang out.

13. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Mine are all fine. I can surf to Wikipedia and everything else!

What a tool!

14. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

I was referring to the websites that I control...not the ones I visit....

What are you doing to prevent SOPA & PIPA?

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree:
    Thank You, and I have contacted my Representatives in DC

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The more I read up on this the more I believe it is a terrible piece of legislation.

17. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

And are you shocked that Hagan is a co-sponsor?

In the US they can detain a citizen forever without a trial by calling him an enemy combatant. Through SOPA and PIPA they will censor the Internet, but we think Iran is a threat.

It needs to be killed. Here is an easy tool to use

18. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I have no active websites at this time. Also, I was not suggesting that 4042 go dark. I was simply asking the webmaster what his plans were.

The deal with SOPA/PIPA is that it's the government attempting to "fix" something. Tell the the last time the government's attempt to fix something did not lead to something worse and I'll stand behind SOPA/PIPA.

Wall Street Journal came out in favour of SOPA/PIPA saying all it does is stop piracy. Yeah, and all TSA does is stop terrorists.

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Hagan co-sponsored PIPA which I guess is along the same lines as SOPA. And no....nothing she does surprises me.

20. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

SOPA and PIPA are means to the same end. Censoring the newest version of the Gutenberg Press.

Once the government controls the dissemination of information and has the ability to detain someone forever without a trial if they don't like them we have lost liberty.

I know some people will say are you not taking it a little far? No because it is harder to get it back than to prevent losing it. There is a war going on and the Patriots are losing fast.

Can anyone see the handwriting on the wall..... SOPA, PIPA, NDAA are supported by both Parties.. They tell us that certain people are unelectable. They tell us wink wink we would not do that. No one is trying to change the things that are broken.

Except One Man.......

He is brave enough to stand up and say I have not done that. It is time to send a loud message. It is time to tell both parties you are being watched. Uphold the Constitution or there will be consequences.