power steering fluid

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Dec 1, 2015.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

just burn off the PS fluid as it goes.

thats bout all they is to it,

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Yep. Did a field repair of a transmission pan versus rock back in the day using a small acetylene torch and a wire coat hanger. I had no flux so I just had to burn off the fluid so the braze would hold. Car ran for two months with no problem waiting on the new pan and filter assembly.

3. cynadon

I like that wayne. nobody uses acetylene anymore cause of the price, unless you need to weld. It don't cost$ much more to buy pure tig rods versus coat hangers of unknown origin. but hey, it all works if you know how

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Can I go and run the engine and let the pump push the fluid out? I have to go to JCC in the morning and was thinking of stopping by Betty's muffler shop in Selma to see if they could do the welding

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  5. cynadon

rocky, keep it full til somebody takes the line off and welds it. pour and drive. keep it full.

6. cynadon

rocky, keep it full til somebody takes the line off and welds it. pour and drive. keep it full.

Hught likes this.
  7. cynadon

oops 2x

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

But it was an important part that needed repeating.

9. Rockyv58

Will do. I didn't realize that it would need to come off. That's why I'll post my questions here because I don't know. Thank you

10. cynadon

its got to come off to weld it or replace it. Automotive Parts in Smithfield can probably make another one. On 301 across from the old skate ranch.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  11. Rockyv58

Thanks I'll google their address who I get home from work tonight

12. Wayne Stollings

Where we were that was all we had to do the repair on a Sunday afternoon. I used the old school rods but my son has really done well with MIG and TIG units and a plasma cutter too.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

14. cynadon

thanks for that link wayne. I'm working on a tree now as a christmas gift.

15. Wayne Stollings

Time is running out as Christmas is just around the corner. I know they will enjoy it as a gift from the heart is always the best.

16. Rockyv58

Well I was chatting with Cynadon privately and he had suggested http://www.inlinefluidpower.com/contactsmithfield.htm for possibly making the line I need. Since I have neither the skill set or tools to take off my rack and pinion I drove over to them in Smithfield yesterday. The guy I spoke with didn't have the ability to take it off and wasn't going to crawL up under my vehicle. He had recommended Ray's garage at 2317 S Brightleaf Blvd, Smithfield, NC 27577. I went over there. Roger put it up on the lift and said he might be able to weld it. But he would have to take it off and clean it up first. It would probably cost about $70.00. And that it would take about two hours. Well I went back today and Roger was able to take off just the line and clean it up and weld it, and put it back on. He only charged me 60.00 but I still paid him the 70.00. It only took him 90 minutes. I have been ecstatic. Its holding pressure and instead of paying 695.00 plus tax for an entire rack and pinion I saved over 625.00. What a Christmas treat. :) Thank you all for your suggestions

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    poppin cork and Hught like this.
  17. Wayne Stollings

Rocky, that is great. There are many people here who have a wealth of knowledge and experience which can be used for free.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  18. cynadon

god bless weldors

Wayne Stollings and Rockyv58 like this.