prayer in school

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed, Sep 6, 2006.

1. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

I may be opeing up a can of worms here, but....here goes. If we have alot of worms, we all got GREAT fishing bait...........

What is everyone's opinion on prayer in school?

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I think if my child wants to pray they should be able to. I support prayer in school...just like saying the pledge of allegiance!

3. motorider

motorider Well-Known Member

Hell....I prayed each time I had to take a test; or hoping the teacher wouldn't call on me if I hadn't done my homework. :shock:

4. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I liked the moment of silence.... I could remind my own children that it was a time to pray... so the kids who didnt want to didnt have to, but it was a physical reminder to those who did.

My son still cant remember to say a blessing before lunch at school. I told him to do it while standing in line to get his food and he said "Well I may walk into someone since I will have my eyes closed!" :lol:

I wouldnt want it to go over board. There used to be a teacher assistant that had circle time of prayer at recess. Some of the kids really wanted to play but felt like they would make her sad and didnt want to hurt her feelings. I appreciate what she was trying to do, but it crossed a few lines.

My daughters kindergarten teacher would have the kids raise their hands on Monday morning if they went to church or Sunday school. If I wanted to be lazy on Sunday, she would beg me to go so she could raise her hand!!

5. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I believe it is up to the individual child. If they want to pray or feel the need to pray it is their decision, I do not believe someone should tell that child to not pray or to pray for that matter.

Sharon

I also believe the pledge of allegiance should be said on a DAILY BASIS..with One Nation Under God!!!!!!

6. Clif

Clif Guest

It's none of the government's business and the bureaucrats should neither force nor ban prayer in public schools.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Shhh. Our baby our taking a nap right now!

In other words, I agree with Clif. :wink:

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's what it says in the Constitution (in somewhat different language :wink: )

Question, of course, is what constitutes "forcing" prayer, or "banning" prayer? If it's led by a teacher or school official, there's evidence of coercion. What about student-led prayer? If a child wants to lead the class in the Lord's Prayer, is that OK? What if a Bhuddist child wants to lead the class in a Bhuddist prayer? How far can we go before the tyranny of the majority coerces kids into joining in religious rituals that they don't believe in? I don't see anything wrong with a moment of silence, with the suggestion by the teacher/leader that the moment be used for prayer, reflection, meditation, centering oneself, planning the day, or whatever purpose each student sees fit.

As Motorider so eloquently points out, as long as there are tests, there will be prayer in school! :)

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Exactly, but I don't agree with a student leading "the class" either.

If they want to form a club, go for it - one that meets before school, lunch time, or afterschool, or even during *specials*. The kids in Chess Club don't take up class time trying to show the other kids a checkmate. If those kids were interested in checkmate they would join the Chess Club... I know I know... as a christian the bible tells you to spread the word - you just can't do it on government property in the form of a class or lead by an adult... Sorry! Did you know the schools in Brunswick COunty have Bibles available, set up on tables for students to take. I don't oppose that. I'm sure they allow other religious texts as well.

10. Clif

Clif Guest

Not necessarily. What if the teacher or official announce s/he would lead a prayer but those who did not want to join in could spend time at the library?

As has already been said, students should not lead the class in anything.

Suppose a majority of the kids at school decide to wear WWJD T-shirts? Do you consider this a "tyranny of the majority"? Should the school forbid such T-shirts because a few students feel offended?

Isn't the teacher suggesting prayer, even included with the rest of your list, considered coercion? If not, when is it coercion and when is it not?

A lot of my problem with the way libs handle this is that they consider not banning religion as endorsing religion. It is not the same thing. The Constitution is very specific (in spite of what judges have decreed). "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or preventing the free excercise thereof." Note that it says "Congress shall..." It says nothing about state or local governments. If the state of North Carolina or Johnston County decided to institute prayer in school, they are well within their rights, according to the Constitution (per the first and tenth amendments). If a teacher decided to lead the class in prayer, the state or local governments may be able to do something, but Congress cannot.

11. Ash107

Ash107 Well-Known Member

I am for prayer in school. The problem for most is organized prayer. Teachers are not allowed to lead prayer; however, a student or group of students can. It also cannot be done at a school sponsored event. (eg. graduation or sporting event, etc)
    It is my belief students should be allowed the opportunity to pray even if it is under the umbrella of a moment of silence. Its important for them to not only know they have that right but that they actually can do it.
    Each year there is a thing at almost all high schools where students meet around the flag pole to pray. This has been allowed since it was done by the students. Sometimes teachers and staff join in but cannot lead. Prayer is there but just not as open as it was. This does not mean we give up the fight for prayer in schools though. One or two people should not decide the fate of everyone.

12. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Our pastors son goes to a Wake Co. School, he shared with us this weekend that kids aren't allowed to say the phrase "Bless you" to anyone on school grounds, as it tramples on religious freedoms. It's in the handbook, our pastor looked because he didn't believe it.

So if you sneeze in Wake Co. Schools, no one is allowed to say "Bless you".

That's what I call overboard.

13. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

EXACTLEY!!!!!!!!!

14. Ash107

Ash107 Well-Known Member

I can see a lot was put in while I was typing up my post. Just remember we can quote the Constituition all we want but it has been walked over so much at this point that those that want prayer out dont even take a second thought to it. The Constitution means nothing to them. Also, as long as the ACLU is out there then it will always be a fight. Congress does not have to do anything, and if even if it tried the courts are full of bad judges that even Congress can be "unconstitutional" The Judicial branch of government is where all the power resides. If you want to stop prayer being limited, legalized gay marriages, and so forth you must start there and with the people that put them there.

15. Clif

Clif Guest

Um, just so you know, that comma wasn't needed.

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

lol...kids...settle down...don't make me turn this car around!

17. Clif

Clif Guest

Watch your language, young man, there may be children of illegal aliens reading this!

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We are all getting run over by freaks! :roll:

Please let me be in charge of the universe!!! Pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would prefer that my tax dollars didn't get used for this nonsence, but I could live with a moment of silence.

20. Ash107

Ash107 Well-Known Member

I have pulled up the wake co public school handbook online and do not see the reference to the "Bless you " thing. Does anyone have a child with the handbook that knows where it is?