prayer in school

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed, Sep 6, 2006.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I may have been mistaken, it may have been the schools specific handbook that's issued as an addendum to the county's handbook. But I know the child goes to school in Wake Co., and he's middle school age, just not sure which school.

2. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

My feeling is this. This country is so concerned about "tolerance" of lifestyles, abortion, women's rights, animal rights and acceptance of eveything under the sun. But let an issue of students wanting to pray in school come up and people start having strokes. :roll:

For example, some people want to have homosexuality accepted as a normal form of lifestyle. But they can't stand for a kid to want to pray in school. :shock: Well, it just so happens that praying can be a part of some people's lifestyles. Again, that's just an example, not point of argument. :wink:

And kids that don't want to pray, need not do so. They can simply not participate or walk away. :idea: It's so EASY :D Students have a "right" to pray in school if they choose and the ones who don't want to, have a "right" NOT to. That should mean NO ONE is offended :D

Besides, we ALL know if you ban anything at all, kids are going to do it ANYWAY. You know, to try spite us. :lol: So why bother? :?

I am a Christian by the way. And I do not agree with the separation of church and state. I never will. It's just my opinion. But I also know that I cannot force my beliefs on anyone, nor do I try. But in the same respect, I don't expect my, or my kids', right to pray to be infringed on by someone who does not like it either.

3. Clif

Clif Guest

Muy divertido, sino yo no puede ser engañado. Me criaron en California meridional.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey that could be a positive spin on the banning of prayer in school :lol:

5. Ash107

Ash107 Well-Known Member

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I don't know what that means. :cry: Can you speak Johnston Coutny Redneck Stlye please? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: Just playin' :wink:

7. Clif

Clif Guest

Is that better? :lol:

8. harleygirl

Thank Goodness we have Clif!!!! Thank you dear!!!!!!!

You know I have to be in the loop! :?

9. harleygirl

:shock: Sounds like a "personal" problem :lol:

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

11. harleygirl

I'll probably get a virus :?

12. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Heard about this on the radio today.

http://www.christianactionleague.org/article/397

Dunn, North Carolina
    "August 28, the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) filed a motion for a preliminary injunction (download pdf) on behalf of Benjamin Arthurs, a Midway High School student who was suspended in April for promoting the “Day of Truth,” an annual event sponsored by ADF that is intended to give students an opportunity to express a Christian viewpoint about homosexuality. Even though school officials allowed other students to take part in the pro-homosexual “Day of Silence” the day before, Ben was suspended for wearing a religious t-shirt and for distributing “Day of Truth” message cards between classes.

more
    http://www.ncfamily.org/stories/060505s2.html

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unless you are saying Homosexuality is a religion, I don't see your point.

Even when I went to public school over 30 years ago we knew we could not spout hate messages (I assume that was what was in the pamphlet, if you know otherwise could you please post) and claim freedom of speech in school.

14. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so, because it's in a list of alternatives, and who knows what anyone is thinking in a moment of silence? Whereas, with an oral prayer, you know who is joining in and who is not.

I agree with you about that, it is not the same thing. I think some (not all) of the problem results from school administrators being afraid to step over the "establishment" line, with the result that they step over the "free exercise" line instead.
    Actually, the bill of rights only applied to the federal government until after the civil war, when the 14th amendment was passed. If I want to sue the federal government for trampling on my right to freedom of religion, I will sue under the first amendment; if I want to sue the state or county government for the same thing, I will have to sue under the first and fourteenth amendments.

Furthermore, I think if schools are going to allow groups to meet on school property after school, they should not be allowed to discriminate based on religion. The chess club, the girl scouts, and groups based on religious affiliation or religious study should all have the same rights. And that applies to all religions, not just the one I happen to subscribe to.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it. They can use Christianity to hide behind their hate. GENIUS!!

16. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

So promoting an alternative lifestyle is okay but promoting anything else is a hate crime? So then promoting abortion is okay and promoting life is a hate crime?

Just so I'm clear ... promoting anything within the confines of traditional Christian values is a hate crime towards anyone who disagrees BUT promoting anything outside of Christian values is not offensive or a hate crime against Christians?

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Did not say it was, just pointing out that to the best of my knowledge homosexuality was not a religion, you were comparing apples to oranges.

No, as long as you don't promote hate and you abide by the laws. I will defend your right to obey your Christian values, I just don't want to abide by all of them or have them forced on others.

P.S. I consider this hate, though not to the level of beating the hell out of someone:

I use the following definition to define hate - To dislike intensely; to feel strong hostility towards.

18. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

Not when I lived there, but as Clif so eloquently pointed out elsewhere, I'm not living in the 21st century, so maybe this is a new thing in BC.

19. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

A shirt with scripture or one with the "Day of Truth" logo (like the one I just found at http://www.dayoftruth.org/order/default.aspx ) I could support. His shirt bearing this "handwritten" message was not appropriate, especially in the school setting.

20. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

Of course homosexuality is not a religion. Where'd that come from? :?

It just seems to me that the issue of a child praying in school should not be an issue. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate. Pretty elementary, don't you think?

People come to this country for freedom and a better life. They always have and it seems they are still trying.......(another issue altogether)

But coming here does not mean that we have to change everything and ban things that the country was built on to suit the needs of newcomers. It's a free country, yes. But that does not mean that this freedom should be used to tear down the foundation and take God out when He's always been here.

Like it or not, the country was built on Christian values. It is the foundation. If you want to practice whatever it is you believe in, you have the freedom to do so. But NOT the freedom to take away what was already here.