Present Question - What To Do?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif, Dec 17, 2007.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I chewed off all of my fingernails waiting. :lol:
    Not really, I forgot :oops:

Glad you got what you wanted and dont sit too close to the TV - you'll go bind ;)

2. Clif

Clif Guest

I thought it was cheese that did that.

3. harleygirl

Don't sid too close to the cheese or you'll go blind? That makes NO sense. :oops:

Mom used to say that when we were growing up - funny - I"m the only one who's not blind :lol: and has not had Lasik

4. Clif

Clif Guest

No, that doesn't, if that was what you had written. Scroll up and look again (read very closely).

5. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

Bind instead of blind, HG. Thought I would help you out on that one. Clif, Glad you received what you wanted.

Our family has always written a list so that everyone would know what one needed or wants and each could discuss it. Whether we get something on the list is another subject but at least people have a clue.

Grace

6. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

You made me laugh!

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

HG is funny!

I got one of those "Cricut" craft cutting things. I think that is a not so subtle hint from DH that I need to learn to scrap book. :shock: I didn't even really keep a baby book for DS. :oops: I think I am missing the "sentimental" gene.

8. harleygirl

O I C :banghead:

9. Clif

Clif Guest

I never understood people who do that. I had a brother-in-law who would not only make his list and post it on the fridge, but he would be very specific (color, size, etc) and would even list the store where it should be bought. I mean, c'mon, you might as well buy it for yourself.

Not sure if I mentioned this in this thread (and I don't feel like scrolling so, if I did, here it is again), but my philosophy is that (except for presents for your own kids) a present should be something you thing the receiver wants but would not necessarily buy for themselves.

My Wii is a great example. I wanted one, but it was way down on my list of things to buy myself.

10. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, Clif! My DH kept asking me what I wanted, my thoughts are...you know you mention stuff throughout the year, so people should pay attention. I finally told him, let's only spend $50.00 on each other whatever we want to buy and then go buy that new freezer and foodsaver we've been wanting. That's what we ended up doing. Of course, I bought $50 worth presents, he gave me cash.

Even with the kids, they can write down all they want on their list, but they are not going to get things I don't want them to have, etc.

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

What do you think about wish lists, like on Amazon or thinkgeek.com? For the most part, I agree with you, a present should be a surprise, and it's so much nicer when the giver puts some thought into it, instead of asking for a shopping list. If somebody asks me what I want, I might say something like, well, I like earrings, and I like James Taylor and Elton John, and I do have a wish list on Amazon.com. My Amazon wish list consists of books I would like and might buy for myself someday, but it's a pleasant surprise if somebody gives me one of them.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I have mixed feelings about lists. I will never make one for myself, but SIL gave us one for the in-laws and I was grateful because I had no idea what to get them this year, they are notoriously difficult to buy for. The secret to gift giving as others have stated is paying attention throughout the year and getting something they wouldn't necessarily get for themselves. DH did great at that this year. :mrgreen:

13. Grace Slick

Grace Slick Well-Known Member

One reason our family does this is that we are located all over the country and really don't have a clue as to what to get one another. Another reason is that if someone really "needs" something we can help by getting it.

I do agree that surprise and thoughts should go into a gift. An example of a surprise gift I received one year was my mother paying off my credit card balance when I was in my 20's. Whether one uses the list is a totally different thing.

Grace:jester:

I am just loving these things.