Question RE: Buses

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jan 4, 2010.

1. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

That topic is still open for debate.

:jester:

Craig

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yeah.................yeah................yeah!!!:jester:

3. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

We live near Polenta Elementary and my husband & I had taken note of all the pretty buses lined up in a row since Christmas break. He mentioned that he wondered how many of the buses would start up this AM after having such a nice long break and the cold temperatures. We wondered if someone came out ahead of time ( like maybe over the weekend ) and checked to see if they might start up this morning. I hate it for the bus drivers too. Even with the buses that started, imagine arriving at school in your already warmed up vehicle and having to jump into that big cold bus to start the route. Brrr!!

4. HOPEFULY THE LOTTERY MONEY WILL GO TOWARDS MORE BUSSES

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

How many links do you want?

http://www.parkridge.k12.nj.us/

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Chann...Articles/2009/04/Ask-the-Experts-Why-GPS.aspx

http://www.mahalo.com/reverse-911

http://emergencynotification.blogspot.com/2007/09/san-diego-city-mayor-unveils-reverse911.html

http://www.providenceri.com/pema/About_RV911.php

Can't find a press release from where I lived, but they had used the same technology for school buses which were tracked by GPS. The GPS was more for safety reasons, but they had a voluntary sign up for people to be notified after a 20 minute delay.

The 911 system was already in place (for obvious reasons) and the school buses were already being tracked by GPS. The were using it to save gas by more efficient route planning as well...which saves...wait for it...*gasp* tax payer money!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

It's way past time to outsource bus transportation in Johnston County.

Keep teacher assistants in the classroom and not behind the wheel.

I don't think there's enough accountability with the current system. With an outsourced contractor, there's clear accountability. With the current system, it's muddied by the fact that drivers et al are also teacher assistants and county employees.

So when I call the school to say "WTF?" it's like telling the maƮtre d that the chef can't cook. They're all on the same team.

My son's bus was late (late = 30 - 75 minutes) four times in the first two months of school. Nobody at the school seems to see this as a problem.

If the county wants to take the responsibility of getting our kids to school, they should take the accountability that goes with it.

7. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Moron, I don't doubt the technology exists......I doubted JoCo being equipped with it. You are becoming what's known as "low hanging fruit" around here.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It's illegal for a bus driver to talk on the phone while driving. So the driver should stop and call every kid on the route to let them know the bus is late? Now instead of 30 minutes late, they will be an hour and 30 minutes late. Between underfunding, illegal aliens and and all the northerners that have moved here it's impressive that the have enough buses without tripling our taxes. It's unfortunate, but everyone has the right to take their kids to school on their own if they don't like it.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm certainly not asking the BUS DRIVER to call, presumbably if the bus is broke making them late, they aren't driving it?????? I am asking if the SCHOOL can on their automated system that they use to tell us the wind is going to blow tomorrow. 8)

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I doubt the automated system is sophisticated enough to be able to call only houses on a certain bus route. Now, maybe they could use it to call everyone and say something like bus number xxx is 30 minutes late. But even that is a stretch with their limited staff and resources.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

BTW, due to an unexpected interview this afternoon, I did not get a chance to check with the school. However, my neighbor did, LOL. Gotta check with her and see what she found out before I add my .02.

12. back on it

back on it Guest

I didnt get a call about the wind Saturday...:?

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Maybe not, that is what I would like to know and hope to address. But since it took 3 months to get my number changed, I don't have high hopes. Kids have survived for years outdoors freezing waiting on buses, no reason to expect any different now I suppose. It probably won't change til some kid gets snatched because their parents didn't know they were left out there way past time for the bus.

14. back on it

back on it Guest

.02 ??? that figure is over 100 bucks by now.

15. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

If the bus broke, they're driving to the garage to get a different one. When I called about the 75-minute late pick-up, I was told the bus broke down and the driv...er...I mean...teacher assistant...had to get a new bus.

16. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Something very familiar about all this.

[​IMG]

Good luck getting through to her.

:roll:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  17. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

:?: Look out...I had a brain storm....and no, the automated system will not call us about it...LOL

What if..........kind of like they do in the miltary......a "point of contact" system. You know....like have the bus driver to call ONE parent and that parent calls a few parents and those parents call other parents, etc..etc.. Military wives and families do it all the time... If a parent who has kid(s)s at the bus stop gets the message and there are kids there that have parents that have already gone to work, that parent could go atleast let those kids know either while on their way to take their own kids to the school or through their own kids if their own want to wait on the bus and it's not going to be WAY WAY late. Then again, parents at work already should supply their cell phone so they can leave and get their kid. But either way, it could work...:?::?::?::idea: Whatcha think???

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I for one would not trust a teenager to drive my child's bus. Its bad enough that you have adults that can't half-way drive, much less a distracted teen!

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

there are way too many flaws in that idea. some parents may have their cell phones at work, but that doesn't mean they can always get to it (they might be in a meeting) and some work places do ban them while on the job - so no, I don't think that would work.

20. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Ok...I agree there.....

But what about the chain of other parents and calls? And a suggestion for the parents who are at work and can't leave or get calls is to try and get a back up system in place BEFORE school begins each fall. You know how your job is and how the school system works, just like you know Christmas is coming every year and still wait till the last minute. Don't wait, get a system in place. Work things out with other parents in the neighborhood. We should be doin' that anyway, too many kids get missing these days not to be on the lookout... When I had my hours changed, I made arrangements and made sure my daughter went to a neighbor's house and my neighbor got her on the bus with her child. Ban together for our kids!

Face it, the school isn't going to change any time soon so WE have to try. One call from a driver is all it would take to get the chain going. I HIGHLY doubt the school would disapprove. They may even think it is a good idea to try. No, we won't get every single person on board with it nor 100% notification if it was to happen, but it IS a start. Doing nothing is not working. What is there to lose?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010