reverse sneezes

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Rockyv58, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thought I had posted about Jese's reverse sneezes years ago but could not find it, Over time people had given me suggestions on what to do to help him with that. But I think I may of figured out something and figured I would pass it on to others who have dogs that reverse sneezes. The past few times he starts it I give him a dog biscuit or dog cookie to chew on. and it tends to stop the reverse sneeze seizure.

I figure since their (dogs that is) nose, mouth, lungs, stomach and all the connecting piping all pretty much works the same as ours. Giving him a treat to chew on closing the epiglottis and allowing the food to go down to the stomach and cutting off the reverse sneeze.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If it is the condition some smaller dogs have where they sound like they are unable to breathe and there is a load sucking sound as they repeatedly try to inhale, it is the airway constricting due to their becoming agitated or scared. In this case if a treat had a colming effect it would allow the airway to reopen as normal. It might eventually have the effect of training for such a reaction though. The treat maight be enough reward to encourage future agitation. I would hope not but it is a thought to consider. We use a claming voice and possibly the use of a toy to distract from the agitation.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

From what I had been told Beagles are prone to the reverse sneezes. I have seen it at different times of the day and night. The last few times has been when we were asleep and I was woken up by his reverse sneezes. And most times it happens during the spring and sometimes early summer

One suggestion I had been told to use was baby benadryl. But that never worked

4. singlemom2

singlemom2 Active Member

My dog does this too! I always wondered what it was. He's an 80lb AmStaff/Mastiff. I've only noticed him doing it while he's laying down relaxed & it's very brief. It seems like it's one or two sneezes. When I first saw him do it, it scared me.