RIP - Davy Jones

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I was a believer, thanks to you. :)

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

3. markfnc

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

CanisLupis <--- Very disrespectful.

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

po' tang

8. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

Grew up listening to his group

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I don't know which feels worse - that I just found out he died or that I didn't know he was still alive before today.

My only memory of him is that Marcia Brady was the President of his fan club.

10. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

He was my first "crush" and the first 45 record I ever owned was "Daydream Believer". I still have it as well as all the Monkee albums.

11. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Somewhere in our family archives there's a super 8 roll of my future wife dancing to "Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees!" when she was four or five Y.O. (circa '69).

The Monkees always took a lot of crap for being a Beatles rip off, fake TV band (they were) but they had some pretty good releases. My favorite is probably "The Last Train to Clarksville" although for some inexplicable reason I like "D.W. Washburn" too.

RIP.

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Pleasant Valley Sunday

The Monkees song "Pleasant Valley Sunday" was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin. It's about Pleasant Valley Way, in West Orange, New Jersey, where I grew up during my junior and senior high school days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0

RIP Davey Jones. You will be missed.

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Well I'm definitely telling my age (53 & proud of it) but i could never miss The Monkees on saturday mornings, i was in love with Davy, & my purple bedroom walls were full of his pictures and oh yeah i have the albums too & remember dancing with my friends in the living room to their music. Even funnier when my two oldest sons would wake up in the am & come running up the hall, i used to sing "here come the monkees" to them. Thanks for the memories Davy, Rest In Peace

14. Rockyv58

Not to be Donnie Downer or to take away from the lose of any life. But lets see how much coverage they give to his death (probably a day or two) to the amount of coverage they gave to Whitney Houston (over a weeks coverage)

15. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

If you saw them on Saturday mornings, you were watching re-runs. When they premiered in 1966 (and through 1967) they were on NBC on Monday nights.

And, yes, I was the president of the Pescados Drive (La Mirada, CA) chapter of the Monkees Fan Club back in 1966. 8) Hey, what can I say, I was 10. :)

16. Rockyv58

Trivia

Here is some Monkee's kind of trivia:
    1) What did Mike Nesmith's mom invent?
    2.) Who is still in jail today that when he was a free man tried out for the Monkee's?

17. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Liquid paper

This is an urban legend, but (supposedly) it was Charles Manson.

18. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Another one gone...:(

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/02/21/entertainment/peter-tork-dead/index.html

Excerpt:

Peter Tork, the bassist for The Monkees and a jokester on the band's popular 1960s television series, has died at age 77. Tork's death was announced on his official Facebook page on Thursday, attributed to his friends, family and colleagues.

Far more talented than his Monkee persona portrayed. A real loss of a real musician, and a pretty amazing guy.

19. markfnc

The had top selling album of 1967, over several other great albums.

Hught, Wayne Stollings and BobF like this.