Road conditions this AM

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jean S, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Anyone been out on Cornwallis/42/10-10 this AM? Wondering what the road conditions look like. TIA!

2. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I heard 1010 is at a standstill going towards 42 at Chops.

3. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

ice and snow covered.. stay home

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Now that all the main roads are done DOT needs to concentrate on the secondary and tertiary roads.

I know the southern saying of "We don't care how they do it up north" but today is not a day for that. Up in New Jersey where I am from, Not only did the NJ DOT work on the roads but they also hired independent contractors to do some of the work. Especially on the smaller roads.

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It's not a lifestyle here, it is a rare event. Someone has to pay for the fleet of trucks, equipment, fuel, treatment and man-hours. I'd prefer my taxes not be jacked up for that purpose. Its not worth the investment for the one storm that we get here each year. It's warming up, the roads will be clear in a day or two.

Under the circumstances, overall this time I think they really made an effort and did a pretty darn good job.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Just heard that Cornwallis Rd near SouthHills/Pleasant Woods is really icy. 2 vehicles currently slid over on the shoulder cant get back on because of slick ice and a large delivery truck stuck on the ice. Sheriff Dept officer there assisting.

7. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

It was more than 2 vehicles. One of them for sure was a complete idiot.

8. Rockyv58

I took a quick 20+ minute ride to check out the roads. The two curves on Polenta between Indian Camp and Grill road are totally iced over. The one closer to Grill road is in total shade.

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Johnston County secondary roads were definitely a mess this morning. The slight thawing as the sun came out made them worse...a sheet of wet ice.

Pic of 50/210:

[​IMG]

10. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

40/42 is clearing, just came thru at 2 pm. Old Drug store is clear except in shady spots. 50 is mostly wet, again, shady spots are slick.

I imagine it will be more of the same as I head into clayton tonight. Sadly, I work off of Old 70 and it's always shady there, so that road is bound to be a skating rink at midnight when I get off.

If you don't really NEED to be out, don't.
    I unfortunately have to go to work, so see you all later!

11. Rockyv58

Just be careful out on the roads. Go real slow and leave plenty of time to get to and get home from work.

12. Rockyv58

How is Barbour Mill road down by the dump?

13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Some of the side roads in Garner are still not clear; I barely got into my building today to work from the ice on the road and going up the driveway. The past 2 days, we worked from home.