Roll Call...Everyone accounted for?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by PirateGirl, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

My wife and I rode out to a co-workers area this afternoon, located in Dunn. All I can say is WOW. Complete and utter destruction where the tornado crossed 242 then 50, on past Stricklands Crossroads etc. I really could not believe my eyes. Each road that we went down, you could tell ran perpendicular to the path of the tornado. It was so sad. The immediate town of Four Oaks really dodged a bullet. As did the town of Smithfield. It almost seemed as if the tornado may have lifted once it got to Smithfield as the damage path was not as evident as it was towards 242 in Dunn. All trees were literally snapped in half. We saw one family out cleaning up their yard where their house once stood. The WHOLE house littered the field behind the foundation. Several mobile homes were either destroyed or completed turned upside down. Then we saw some houses right in the destruction path that were spared. It is truly amazing to see the power of a tornado. My heart and prayers go out to the families who were devastated.

While riding around I couldn't help but think about the way a gentleman described a tornado in the movie Twister as "the finger of God." It makes everything else in life seem so small.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgwJfoZ-12c&feature=player_embedded

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

All good here. We are so lucky the storm completely missed us here at 40/42. So sorry for the others not so lucky. Can't believe the amount of destruction across the state. :cry:

3. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

Parts of South East Raleigh are destroyed. The Tornado went right down my In-Laws street. Houses are torn apart, trees through the middle of them. Power lines everywhere. It is just terrible. Thank God they were not hurt. My heart goes out to those that weren't as fortunate and lost loved ones.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

On my way to work in Raleigh today, saw all the damage to Yonkers rd - its bad! so I can just imagine how much worse these other areas are! :cry:

5. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

Saw that too...terrible.

6. peekaboo

peekaboo Well-Known Member

I am so proud of my brother and his family...

My brother and his family live in Selma on Camp Ground Road. My brother lost trees, a barn, and roof damage due to the storm. He and his wife are school teachers. Across from their home there were three trailers. One of the trailers was taken up in the air and thrown down. A husband and his wife came out in back of their property all muddied and bloody. My brother's family brought them into their home. Once in the house they talked of a baby. My brother's son Jason went across the street and found the child on the ground and carried him in. God Bless all those people who were affected by those tornadoes, and to all those like my brother's family that were out there helping others!
    Grandma Peekaboo
    PS I live in Clayton and I had no damage.

7. shardee428

shardee428 Well-Known Member

I'm here. All is well. It only rained for about five minutes at our house. We live in Wake Co. just barely.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Saw a guy in Durham today who claimed he was in the safest possible location. When asked where, he said "right here, it was too close to dark for a tornado to be on the ground in Durham"

:lol::lol:

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I heard it was bad over there. we didn't have work today and it's been called off for tomorrow too. No power to our building on Yonkers. :?