School Lunches

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mylittle_man, Oct 2, 2012.

1. mylittle_man

mylittle_man Active Member

Can someone please explain how the lunch system works in Johnston County Schools. Why do they allow a child to fix their tray then go to the register only to find out they don't have money in their account and are then told to throw the entree away. What does that accomplish? I understand if it happened everyday for the same child but really is it better to throw the food away than to let the kids eat it and dock their account???

2. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

If kids don't have money in their account, they are allowed to get a vegetable tray. If my chid's account is low, usually a recording calls our house to remind us. Also, teachers usually have a printout of who needs more money that morning.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

the kid knows he doesn't have money (I mean, if he is throwing his tray away everyday). He should probably tell his mom. Now before you go jumping on me saying the school should call or send notes (and I guarantee they have done one or the other)....I realize that to be true. BUT, the school can't do E V E R Y T H I N G. As a parent, I know that I have to stay on top of stuff like this, because it just falls through the cracks.

Also, school lunch accounts are online now. I go in there once a week and make sure my kiids have money in there.

and I agree with the OP, they should at least let the kid get a veggie tray or a milk or something.

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

You can't "dock" what is not there, unless you mean to let people go into a negative balance. It used to be done this way and thousands upon thousands of dollars were charged and never, ever paid. That is the reason the charging was stopped. The food is thrown out because of sanitation practices. Think about it...

The system in place now puts the responsibility on the parent, which is where it should be, and as others here have stated, the school make the effort to let parents know when there is not enough money in the account and give the kid a free meal (of vegetables) if there is no money. Please do not blame the system for a parent's lack of skills. I can guarantee you if the parent had to go without lunch a day or two they would be sure there was money in their account. It is pitiful that they will not do the same for their offspring, but instead blame the school system. If you still have questions, why not call the school and make an appointment with the cafeteria manager. I am sure he/she can answer all of your questions, but I doubt to your satisfaction.

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that all parents knew how this works. I have three kids, and I've known since my first one started school 8 years ago. The school will send home in Tuesday folders a notice when your child's lunch acct gets under $20 (?). Besides that fact, I always keep up with how much I've sent my kids; either by weekly or monthly. And as someone stated, you can now check their account online (I've never done this, because I keep up with it on my own, but seems like a great thing to do!)

My oldest son has had to get a vegetable tray I think twice in all his years. Once he forgot to bring his lunch to the cafeteria (he would do both take & buy, depending on the day, and forgot he had his lunch that day) and once when it just slipped through the cracks. It's really not the end of the world, they do give them food, it just may not be what they like. :jester: I would never put blame on the school or teacher for the child not having money in his/her account, that would fall under my responsibility entirely.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DS is in middle school and we don't get the notes anymore. I try to ask him at least twice a week how much money he has. I keep more than enough in there just in case. I also think we had one "failure" in all these years but he called and DH was able to bring money over, we don't live far. However, a veggie tray once wouldn't have killed him.

I also like to give him a little emergency cash to keep in his backpack in case we wouldn't be able to get to the school.

There are ways to keep this from happening.

7. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

funny, as this JUST happened to me today. Normally we send a check in and it is never an issue. However, I have not gotten the normal "sheet" that the teachers put in the folder as a reminder that the account is getting low. My son told me last night that they let him go ahead and get a regular lunch yesterday (which is NOT the norm and shocked me...but am grateful they let him) I forgot to write a check this morning in the chaos so the teacher called me this morning. I feel like such a slack mom, by the way. :) I was able to go online and add money to his account with a credit card, which is the way I will do it from now on to avoid this issue ever again. I was also able to see WHY he was low earlier than expected too....as I can see exactly what he is buying each day. I love that feature.

8. mylittle_man

I am not placing fault on anyone... I do agree it is up to the parents to ensure there is money in the account... What I don't agree with is... if the kid doesn't have money they simply throw the food in the trash can...and make them only eat the veggies.. What good is that?? Now the kid is without food (what is considered the meat portion) and the school is still without the money and food?? It is a punishment for the kid who doesn't have money and it wasn't even their fault to begin with.

9. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Good Lord. The kid is not without food if there is no meat on the tray. And it should only happen once in a blue moon and the parent will be sure there is money there next time.

10. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

There has to be a way to address the lack of fund before the kid gets the food. Throwing the food out is wasteful.

11. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I agree it is a waste to throw away the food. I never understood that. Here are a few FYIs about the policy. They cannot (or rather are not suppoded to) take a lunch away from a child in 2nd grade or below. Also a child can share money from a siblings account if needed.

This happened to us once. I sent in checks for each of my boys but the school accidentially credited them both to one--so my first grader had his lunch taken away and was given broccoli and raisins and water. I was livid because the school was wrong at every turn.

12. mylittle_man

Thank you... that is my thought too...

If they are going to just throw it away why not let the child eat it and not be wasteful??

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree that it is wasteful. However if they let them have it anyway, where is the incentive to send in the money?

People WILL take advantage. They just do.

14. KellBell

ummmm, H E L L O.... you can see your kids account ONLINE.

15. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Very wasteful to throw out the food, plus kind of sends the message that the trashcan is more deserving of the food than the kid, when it is not the kid that is at fault. They need to verify the account balance/pay for the food before the food is placed on a tray.

16. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I used to be addicted to the pizza at school. I always had to have two pieces and I thought I was the chit because I could have two. But that's when lunch was a 1.50.

I know I know. Some of you had to kill your lunch because Moses ate all of the cheese. Old Farts!

17. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

This is usually done each day in elementary school (verify balances each morning), but it doesn't account for all of the extras available. In middle and high schools where balances are not checked because they are supposed to be old enough to be responsible, this is not time efficient (due to the large number of students) and the cashier has no idea how much food the student will choose to buy that day, so impractical is another word for checking before the tray is made, as the total will change by the end of the line. I understand the wasteful aspect, however, this is easily remedied if PARENTS check ONLINE and make sure the money is there. Less use of the word "they" and more use of the mirror. Problem solved.

18. mylittle_man

:iagree:

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

So ignore everyone else who pointed out that the error in this equation is the PARENT. Typical. :lol:

20. KellBell

SO typical. :ack:

And the fact that they can see it online, whether they chose to use the service of depositing monies or not.