School Lunches

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mylittle_man, Oct 2, 2012.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I agree that while it's the parents responsibility, however, I've seen it happen to a little girl and it was heartbreaking. This was back before you could see it online, right after they made the rule about throwing it away and replacing it with a veggie tray. I liked the rule when I heard about it originally....until I saw it happen.

The kid just crumbled. I didnt want my child or any other child to have that happen again. I found the teacher, gave her some money and I asked her to pay for it if any other child in her class that year was in that situation. I doubt they would still agree to do that today, but she agreed.

I'm a little surprised to hear that it still happens, but I understand why they have to take a stand. I wish they had a way of verifying it before the kid gets to the end of the line.

2. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

The rules were implemented because of the NUMEROUS slack parents who never paid when their children were allowed to get a regular lunch without having any money. The parent was notified the amount owed, but they never paid. At the end of the school year, the cafeteria would be in the red because some families owed HUNDREDS of dollars. (I know, I taught several in this situation, and I sent home weekly reminders, emails, and made phone calls to no avail.) It only takes a few rotten apples to spoil the whole bushel, and it only takes a few who take advantage of the system to cause the system to change.

It could be worse. When I was in school, no money meant no lunch. Period. At least the students can eat something.

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to packing their lunch so you don't have to send money in and keep track of the balance? Do kids take lunch boxes anymore?

4. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I'd like to add that I know a lot of teachers who pay for the kid's lunch just to prevent the tray from being put in the trash. Little kids under 3rd grade really do depend on parents and teachers to make sure they have lunch money. They don't have a clue. Sometimes they don't even remember if they brought their lunch or not. lol!

5. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Everyone is different. I don't mind keeping track of my kids' accounts. They love to eat the cafeteria food and it's very convenient for us.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yep. I work full time, that is one less thing I have to fool with in the morning. I am not packing lunches on top of everything else. Besides, I prefer he have a hot meal, not just a sandwich or something similar.

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

A hot meal? Where does he go Ravenscroft? The only thing hot in Johnston county schools is the salad. :lol:

Honestly, I hope it's improved alot in the last 5 years because when my kids were in elementary the food was pretty bad.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

DS goes to RMS, he says the food isn't bad at all. They have options if they don't like the main meal too. I'm as frugal as the next mom, but I would have a hard time packing him a decent lunch for $2. Not to mention the convenience factor.

Just make it a habit to send in your money once a week or once a month and it's really no big deal. :cheers:

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Pack them a lunch if the cafeteria is so confusing. I had bag lunches most of my life.

Sherry

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:
    My two youngest are at west view, and they LOVE the school lunches. Oldest is at cleveland middle, and says its nasty, they "cook" everything in the microwave and all the food is cold. But he still wants to buy every day. And yes, the price of food in stores is so ridiculous these days, it is hard to pack for less than $2. Especially a healthy lunch.

11. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Yep ds goes to RES and eats lunch everyday. and if its something he doesnt like he doubles on veggies himself or grabs a sandwich they have...

Our account got low one time and thankfully his teacher paid his that day. But we did some digging and found he was getting lots of extras and even breakfast so we had a talk with the cafeteria manager and had a note on his account and stopped all that mess :)

12. mylittle_man

mylittle_man Active Member

When I first posted my comment about the lunches it wasn’t meant to point the finger at parents, teachers, students or staff… or to question who’s responsibility it is to raise our own kids… I know you can check online, make payments online, send money in with our kids and not let the accounts get too low to pay for lunch or even pack their lunch… I am simply amazed the school system throws the food in the trash can and will not allow a child just to eat it…

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And again, the point is, if they didn't throw it away, there would be NO incentive for people to keep up with it. You know that people WILL take advantage. That's why the policy is in place. Not sure why this is a difficult concept to understand.

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Abuse is what caused it, but I'm afraid I still disagree with the tactic of throwing it away after they already have it on their plate. Sixth graders are one thing, little kids can't help it if their parents are idiots. I don't see why they can't be warned on day one and given a reminder to take home. Next day, the teacher is told AHEAD of time that the kid can't buy lunch. Nothing is wasted, same result.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I think that would be a lovely solution. I'm not saying I love the idea of throwing food away, but the situation is what it is. But again, that puts it back on the schools to notify the parents. AGAIN. The little kids do get a note. Every.Single.Week.

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Well, you know me, I'm a big softy! :cheers:

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I am too! Trust me, I wish no little kid ever got embarrassed like that. I hate it. :cheers:

18. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I just hate that they throw the food away. I understand why they do it, with their system set up as it is, but it is very wasteful, and it is really a public humiliation to the child to have it done right in front of the whole class, whereas it might be a little gentler to just be told in advance they don't have the money so only take veggies, or that they need to call their parent to have them bring some $$ before lunch.There were not really any "extras" at my school, except for milk. Why do we have a bunch of junk available to the kids anyway, to mess up the lunch money available balance? It would make it happen less often if they took the extras away I bet. Yes, the responsibility is with the parents, but it doesn't mean the system couldn't be made better too.

19. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Well in my case the extras my son would get, breakfast or a bottle water instead of milk or ice cream or cookie for dessert :) (he gets it honest). Most teachers have a rule now that you can only get the sweet things on a friday and all the parents have to agree to it, which I really like!!

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I've never seen a lunch thrown out. I will say that the Elem, MS, and HS ALL use the same recipes, products, and methods of cooking. There are no microwaves and alot of dishes are made from scratch and delish IMO.

My own girls' accounts were low yesterday (yep, my oversight) and they just GAVE them lunch, didn't charge them anything/throw anything out/give them a veggie tray etc. I think it depends upon the school/cafe mgr, and this isn't the first time. I went in to settle up and was waved away just like last time.

One time I got a phone call from the teacher saying the account was low. I went right online and remedied that. I get printouts and even an automated phone call. I've just developed CRS in my old age.