School Lunches

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mylittle_man, Oct 2, 2012.

1. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

If you mean the "Fiestada" pizzas my brother was telling me he saw them at one of the big stores (BJs/Sams/cant remember) in bulk cases.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I gotta have the square ones from the school. I mean if someone can break in and tell me what kind they are. It will be good. If thats what they are Ogg I will hook it up!

3. oggsmash

The ones I am thinking of were hexagonal. I dont know if there was a square version, I just remember a zesty sauce and a close to meat flavor that made it as good as cafeteria school food could get in my day.

4. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

This is a *tough* subject. My best friend manages a school cafeteria (elementary) and it breaks my heart to hear about the hungry children. No, it isn't their fault but unfortunately for them, it they are fed a regular tray without money on their account, the parent will expect this to continue. Obviously some children can't be allowed to just not pay on a regular basis while the majority have money or have applied for free/reduced lunch.

Most children who do not have lunch money (not ones that just ran out one time) on an every day basis, actually would qualify for assistance but their parents have failed to follow through with the process to have the service for them.

My friend has been know to pay herself for children's food until she was warned that she could loose her job.

I donate to Backback Buddies. This service sends food home for hungry children to eat on the weekends.

5. newmom5497

newmom5497 Well-Known Member

Those who said that kids that who get a free/reduced lunch have to pay for snacks are correct..I was mistaken. I had thought they were free because every day at lunch most of my free/reduced lunch kids get a extra snack and ice cream...so I just assumed those were free also. But the lunch lady said that only the lunches are free..the "extras" are paid for by the parents who put money in their kids lunch accounts electronically/via the internet each day/weekly so that they can get a extra snack and ice cream daily.

Sorry for that mistake.....

6. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but my daughter said one of her friends bought 6 cookies at lunch today. I guess there's no limit to snacks and sweets as long as you have the money. :?

7. oggsmash

If you dont pay for lunch, maybe it gives a little extra to buy the extra stuff? Makes sense to me.

8. newmom5497

A little off topic, but my daughter said one of her friends bought 6 cookies at lunch today. I guess there's no limit to snacks and sweets as long as you have the money.

I am surprised that the teacher allowed that. Most teachers are in the lunchroom serving the kids food and eating with them and most would have put a limit on 2 cookies per day(I know I would have). I also have a classroom policy of buying snacks/extras only on Friday..which most parents like/agree to(I tell them first) as it keeps their weekly lunch budgets down a bit...LOL.

9. newmom5497

My friend has been know to pay herself for children's food until she was warned that she could loose her job

I was told the same thing when I started teaching and attempted to give money to a child who was short lunch money one day. My admin. told me it was against school policy to give a child money...although I do admit that I have snuck a few cents here and there into a child's lunch account when they were only 10 or 20 cents short (Which is usually all I have..lol..I never carry cash).