Should Schools?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Oct 7, 2005.

?

Should Schools Pass Out Condoms?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I Don't Have An Opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

I'm watching Dr.Phil at this moment and the topic is "should schools be allowed to pass out condoms to the kids?" what is your opinion? And does any schools around here have condom machines in the bathrooms? Of course the topic on Dr.Phil is referring to 6th grade thru 12th grade. I didn't realize 6th graders were ready to think about sex? How young do they begin? Just a new topic for today...place your vote and state your opinion...thanks. :)

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I voted NO, simply because if my girls are going to be sexually active...I want to be the one to buy the condoms and birthcontrol pills.....I don't want them to be active, but reality is they probably will be...so I want to educate them myself!

and 6th grade??? Hell, my 6th grader still plays with Barbies.....and is just starting to like boys!!! 6th Grade????????? That's unreal!

3. jaloridon

jaloridon Well-Known Member

6th GRADE?? oh my goodness!! Im skerrrrred.

i don't think in middle school. if the poll was aimed at HIGH school, i probably would vote YES. but, 6th-8th grade? My goodness. I barely knew I had something down there then!!!

4. Anonymous

I know what you mean....I can't imagine 6th graders thinking about or having sex....but I guess it happens....I myself vote NO...and the reason why is I am my kids first teacher....I will introduce sex to my kids when the time is right.... 8)

5. jaloridon

jaloridon Well-Known Member

Ive got a 3rd grader and I was wondering when i should address the sex issue. any ideas?

6. Southernborn

Well, my 6th grader knows sex basics, because I taught them to her in 5th grade. She started coming home with ??? and I sat down and explained it...she still thinks it's gross...as she stated last night...and that's GREAT to me :)

7. Anonymous

i have a 3rd grader too....he has asked questions in reference to sex from seeing some shows on TV with adults "doing it" ...and me and hubby have just redirected his attention to something else...cause we feel it's too early for him to know...but should we introduce now or wait til he's older? thanks.

8. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

YEs talk to them in Middle School - that's where they form the ideas and thoughts about sex that will take them through life. If you explain thing to them by then -they will be better equipmmed to handle the jokes and peer pressure they will face in middle school. THe language that is used by these kids - yes even yours -(nothing personal just making a point) - is terrible. Half of them don't even know what these words are and who has what part. It's a silly parents who believe that the kids don't curse at school to be cool and fit in. They may never do it around you - but they do it around their friends. THey need to form good, healthy attitude about sex and body parts without having these things trivialized and joked about in school.Where do you think boys get the idea that girls are good for sex then you go get another one. Where do you think the idea that girls need to put out to feel sexy and be popular from? Middle school.
    The amount of kids that are prego in the High school is disgusting. Am i am talking about Johnston County High schools -(it's worse in Wake).
    I feel lake of parental judgement in taking action to educate the childern and the schools lack of educating the childern on these subjects is appauling. Just say no doesn't cut it. Too many kids are left alone to make up their own minds and they are making wrong choices. i fthe condoms were available I don't know if the kids that actually needed or want them would get them. But a few may.
    too many parents keep sayign not my kid - untill little suzy shows up knocked up and says johnny is that dad. it happens in our school as young as 12.

9. Anonymous

that is a tough question. i don't like that idea that our schools teach abstinence only. in a make believe world it would be great to think that teenagers will not have sex. but lets get real. they do have sex and a lot of those kids are lot lucky enough to have parents to discuss this with. and even if parents have a good open relationship with their kids as i do with mine, most of them still are not going to go to mom when they decide to have sex. they are going to hid it and i would rather kids got protection somewhere instead of having unsafe sex.

Ducky, if your 3rd grader is asking about sex, I would simply answer the questions he is asking. you don't have to go into great detail but it's better that he get the information from you instead of the other kids at school.

10. Anonymous

Thanks Tangerine. I know I am the parent and should introduce my kids to sex but I didn't think an 8 year old should know about sex yet. That was why me and hubby redirected his attention to something else, but I guess you are right. Maybe me and hubby should answer his questions the best we can.

11. Southernborn

12. Anonymous

Ducky, it is better that he hear it from you and get the correct answers than to hear it from another kids and really be confused.

13. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

Hey Yaller Duck, if you don't answer them, his friends at school will.... and they'll make it sounds very appealing. :idea:

14. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

This is something that is hard to really answer because every child is different in his or her development, but I don't think it is ever too early to talk to kids about this, in one way or another. I never pushed the issues with my kids, but would answer their question, starting off in general answers and as they got older and asked more then I got a little more specific. Sex is one of the most uncomfortable subjects to talk to ones child about, but for me, I have found that being open and honest with my kids has helped. It is out there all over the place and kids now days are obsessed with it and kids start hearing talk of it younger and younger and they start younger and younger, and that is sad. Half the time these kids really don't know what they are doing and they are just mimicing what they see around them from others and on TV.

As Tangy said, just answer their questions without too much detail and go from there. It is best if a child hears things from their parents instead of "learning" from someone else, who may not be giving them correct information.

I am not sure what my opinion is on the topic. Guess it is mixed due to some kids not being able to talk with their parents about these things. I have discussed having sex with my kids and told them I really would perfer if they waited until they got older and perfer they wait until they get married, but I know I cannot stop them. I told them I would buy condums and if they felt they HAD to do anything or that they were GOING to do something, the condums are there and I won't ask any questions. I would rather them be safe then sorry, and not just from pregnancy, but HIV/AIDS and other things. This might sound like I am giving them the ok to do things, but I am not. I stress all the time about not doing anything, but if they are going to do something, at least I can protect them or try to.

I am thankful because my kids are pretty open with me, (more with me than my husband), including my son. I continue to talk with them and answer any questions they have.

15. Anonymous

Southernborn wrote:
    Well, that settles it then....my 8 year old needs basic input on sex....BTW...what does it say when my 8 year old sees a woman on TV commercials and he goes "woowee"? Any of you seen the commercial for that Weight Loss Pill called Fahrenheit for women? Well, my 8 year old goes woowee when he sees that woman on there.

16. Clif

Clif Guest

You mean it's not?

17. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My daughter is 9, and I'm very open with her. I've never NOT answered her questions. I bought her a book this year by American Girl, "All about Me", that explains periods, body hair, and such. We haven't talked about sex yet, but I'm sure it's coming. My theory has been to let her come to me, and so far it's worked.

However, with that being said, and kids giving BJ's in middle school, if she has to go to the middle school next year as a 5th grader, we'll probably have the talk this summer.

18. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

Well, my interpretation of 'woowee' would be that his friends have already started explaining to him and he thinks that the lady on the commercial fits the bill, lol. :oops:

19. Anonymous

good point songbrd...thanks.... :)

20. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Jen ~ I have several of the American Girl books for my daughter. She has read them cover to cover and goes back for reference all the time. She reads things and then comes and asks me questions. I think they are real good books

Ducky ~ not much you can do when your son goes WOOWEE when he sees the women on TV. Be thankful he likes girls! :wink: It is just part of being a boy. My son is 16 and he is always making comments about ladies on TV. Can't remember what we were watching but he made a comment about "legs going up to there". I looked at him kind of funny and he was like "What?" :lol: Kids, gotta love 'em.