Should Schools?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Oct 7, 2005.

?

Should Schools Pass Out Condoms?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I Don't Have An Opinion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

ForEverFaithful wrote:
    i know and i am thankful he likes girls!! my husband said the same thing the first time my son done that when that particular commercial came on...it was funny...we asked my son what he was wooweeing about...he said nothing..but we knew..it just took us by surprise that an 8 year old would do that... :eek:

is there any books out there for boys to read? thanks.

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I also have some medical software for the pc that if they have a question they go reference it on there. It shows pictures (on how the inside of the body works) and descriptions....when we first talked about sex,pregnancy, periods, body hair, etc. we went over it all on there too. Hey I say it's never too early if they are asking specific questions.

3. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I got my son a book at that Christian store over by Wal-Mart in Clayton. I can't remember the name of it, but they did have a few books in there. It had a lot of good info in it. Also check at a book store or even on line. There may be some articles there.

4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

yellow ducky wrote
    :lol: means he on the road to manhood :wink:

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I have not been in the 6th grade for over 35 years, but New Years Eve that year the first girl in our class that was known to have had sex lost her virginity. By the end of the year there were at least 2 more and my class was only ~70 students. Two of the girls never graduated and one had a total of 6 kids by our 10th high school reunion. I know there is more going on today than then, so yes those children should know about sex and have access to birth control to prevent many more problems.

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

How about some parental supervision. That's great birth control.

7. Wayne Stollings

Sure, you watch them 24/7/365 if you can, but if you cannot what then?

8. Call me JT

Call me JT Well-Known Member

I think parents have a lot more influence than they think. Worked for me. And I guess because of that, I feel condoms are sending a mixed msg. You can't say "Don't have sex! But if you do, use a condom." You might as well be telling them to go and have sex.

flame away!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

i agree that parental control is needed but you can't bury your head in the sand and think that your child is not gonna have sex. fact is that the majority of them will. its better that they have a little knowledge and access than to have unprotective sex. parental control isn't going to help at all after they get pregnant or some kind of STD.

10. Call me JT

I don't understand why this has to come from the school. If a parent is comfortable with schools passing out condoms, then they should be comfortable enough to give it to their child themself. That way, the parents who don't want to send mixed signals, can be assured that someone else isn't telling their child it's ok to have sex.

Condoms are not expensive, they're not only sold to folks who are of a certain age. They are easy to come by. I can't imagine that giving out condoms at school is the only way a child who wants to have sex will be able to get them.

11. Call me JT

I'm just curious Polenta..

What does that mean?

12. Wayne Stollings

Just to be curious, how many of you did/would have asked your parents for condoms?

When I was grwoing up you had a few gas stations that were popular because they had machines in the restrooms, and everyone in the drug store knew everyone else .... maybe times have changed that much.

13. Call me JT

So are you really implying folks who get pregnant early on are only qualified to work in fast food if they opt for marriage and raising the baby?

SURELY, that's not what you mean.

14. Call me JT

That's what I said at the bottom of page 2. My parents didn't promote sex, they sure as heck didn't give me condoms or put me on birth control. I wasn't told sex was bad or that I was a bad person if I wanted to do it or did it either. I was just made fully aware of EVERYTHING. There was not a single subject that was taboo in my house. My parents talked to us and they talked to us all the time because of the extremely active roles they played in our lives. Because of that, I was a virgin on my wedding day, and it was by choice. I had plenty of opportunities to have sex way before then and chose not to. My brothers, though they didn't wait til marriage, were much older than their peers were when they had sex.

You don't have to be ignorant to what's going on in the world, but you certainly don't have to push them into it sooner than they are ready to either.

15. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

middle school

If you don't think middle school students can be sexually active, you need to think again, especially if you are a parent. I know two middle school students who are pregnant...that means their middle school boyfriends are also sexually active. Most are probably not, but.....

I have put my foot down with my own children on "co-ed" parties, but I know a few parents who allow co-ed sleepovers. They don't think anything will happen since they are "in the house." I told them that unless they are IN THE ROOM they don't know what will happen.

Think about something: when 4 and 5 year olds are encouraged to "have boyfriends/girlfriends" by their parents because it's "cute," then they will probably have their first kiss earlier. When those hormones begin to kick in, they've already experimented with various things. Combine that with the outfits that look like Hollywood's version of a hooker and you're going to set yourself up for sexually active children. Most middle schoolers don't think oral sex is sexual intercourse.

Should they get condoms? No, but they need parents who will help them remain children for as long as possible without the pressure of "dating" being brought up too early. Whatever happened to little boys and girls thinking the opposite sex had "cooties?" Now you see six year old boys talking about how "hot" a girl is.

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, what's up with the coed sleepovers?? Are the parents passing out condoms, too? :? Give me a freaking break. A Youth Group lock-in, or all night party at the skating rink is one thing - but a coed sleepover organized by parents and held in their home? Not only would my son not be attending, but he would have to find some new friends. I would find their parent's judgement to be questionable and would not want my son around their children or them period. These are probably the same parents who buy booze for the kids. :roll: If my son decides to be sexually active, that's on him - but I am not going to encourage it by supplying the hookers.

17. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

should schools

Actually those all night skates are a BAD idea. I personally know four teenagers (eighth graders) who go to them and then leave with high school boys for several hours before returning. How do I know? They were caught when a parent showed up at 10:30 instead of midnight. The girls were not inside. He waited in the car until the came back at 11:45. They didn't think he'd get there early. Two girls had hickeys on the chests. Imagine what else might have gone on.....I told him he should have pressed charges against the boys (the girls are only 13 and 14), but the guys ran when he saw them and the girls won't give up the names. Unless you remain there with your children, there's no telling where they will go. Interskate doesn't stop them from leaving the premises.

18. Cleopatra

Re: should schools

Thanks for the info. I am definitely a "show up early" mom, or I just plain "show-up"!!

19. Call me JT

I have no doubt middle school kids have sex. A few were having sex when I was in middle school and I'm certain things have progressed since then. I don't want to give off the impression I don't think it happens. I just think better education as well as more involved parenting is a better answer than passing out condoms at school.

20. Cleopatra

Thank You.