Slow computer

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by blusdrmr, Dec 20, 2005.

1. blusdrmr

blusdrmr Well-Known Member

OK...will do.

Here's a strange one for ya.....

My computer at the store (the one I am on now) for some reason went koo-koo on me. My wife was running the store yesterday and called me to tell me that the computer wold not go online at all and kept trying to dial a dial-up connection. She called Bellsouth (since we have bellsouth DSL) and they sent a tech out to take a look at the lines and such. The odd thing is that the driver for the ethernet card was not installed. The other odd thing is that once I got it back online, my e-mail settings had set themselves back TWO YEARS! Not only that but I loaded some goofy sound effects on this thing over three years ago and have not used them in at least two years. For some reason, they are back (I had deleted them!) and they are being used for the same applications that I removed them from two years ago. Another odd thing is that I cannot use Realplayer OR Windows Media Player. Both of them error out and close out. WMP tells me that there is an internal error and will not load. RP loads and then tells me that it has caused an error and must close. Now, I have rebooted the computer and here is the wierd thing......all of my e-mail settings are back to normal (after they seemed to have vanished) but the strange sound effects are still there. Dude.....this is really scary. I know this computer is very old but I had no idea it was haunted!

2. blusdrmr

But, by itself?!?!?!?! The computer was turned off and then when it was booted up, it was already like this. Very strange. How do I set it back to what I had? The odd thing is that I did not lose one bit of any information that I had recently put in. If the restore was done that far back, would I not lose some information?

3. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

The first time I saw a Bluetooth headset was in RDU airport. Brian McKnight was using one, although I didn't know who he was. Some lady wanted his autograph.

If Brian McKnight can't make a Bluetooth headset look sexy, I don't think I've got a chance.

4. blusdrmr

I hear ya. Actually it was that way before she dug into it. Since the driver for the ethernet card was missing, it leads me to believe that it was that way before hand. The computer was trying to use the dial up connection that I had not used in two (plus) years that I had removed from the computer to begin with. I did re-load Windows this morning to see if it would correct the WMP problem but it still comes up with an internal error message and will not load. E-mail, web browsing and the like are working fine, though. Just WMP and Real Player do not work for some odd reason. Is there a way to fix these by going online and finding a possible repair for them? I know I can just remove RP and download it again to correct it, that is easy. WMP is the problem.

5. blusdrmr

It just tels me that it has "caused an internal error". Whatever that means. RP just won't work...period.

6. blusdrmr

I'm here all day!

7. blusdrmr

OK....let me rephrase that........

I am here all day EXCEPT for Sunday. (9-2 on Saturday)

8. blusdrmr

Hey, Ken,
    You know what sucks? I had Winamp runnig all day yesterday and loved the online radio stations! Thank you for the tip! Here's the "suck" part......I tried to get it to load the radio stations today and they will not run. DAG NABBITT!!!

9. blusdrmr

Not loading the stations. The list comes up but it will not load the station to listen to it. Winamp is working fine, though. I have been listening to the one's you taught me how to save. Forever grateful, by the way. I love it! Just wish it would load the blasted stations. If I go to the saved songs, it will load them and play them all day. If I try to just load the program and play the stations, it will not do so. Stupid computers!!!!!! Just when I find something I like, it bites the dust!

(edited because I can't type as fast as you without mistakes)

10. blusdrmr

Well, for some reason, it's working today. It's possible that the connection between the stations and winamp that were not working yesterday.

11. blusdrmr

It was not only Shoutcast, though. Not one of them would load. Very strange. I did not have to do anything to it today but I was sooooo happy when I turned on the 'ol puter and it worked! I am getting blues-washed!

Like you said.....reload, reboot, pray.

12. blusdrmr

Dude, I have been one stream rippin' fool since Monday!

13. blusdrmr

Yes, you should.

AMEN, BROTHER!!

14. blusdrmr

You know what the strange thing is? One day Winamp will work fine and the next day it won't load the stations and play them. Tuesday, it worked fine, Wednesday it would not work, Thursday it worked, Friday it worked and today it's down again. I can't figure this thing out for some reason.

DAG BLASTED COMPUTERS!!!! ARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

15. blusdrmr

Hey, Ken,
    What is an error called a JSCRIPT.DLL? Whenever I try to pull up certain info on Google, it gives me that error and shuts IE down.

16. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Ken~

Be lookin' for it :).

My DH can take care of the Linux part, and just tell me what to do after he's installed, copied, or whatever :).

Frogger