Smoking in Public

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ubergeek, Sep 4, 2004.

?

Should public restaurants ban smoking?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

Since the thread about McCall's was hijacked (no offense daniallea) why don't we address this issue. People seem adamantly opposed to each other on both sides of the fence and there should be some kind of compromise.

I do think it is a bit much to expect restaurant owners to have to spend exorbant amount of money to accomodate both non smoking and smoking patrons. They may have to, if they want to please everyone, though.

I used to smoke. This habit had a hold on me for 10 years. I never felt the need to impose my second hand smoke on people at a restaurant that wasn't already smoky. I could wait until I left if nobody else around me was smoking and it would stink up the place.

I haven't smoked in 5 years. Now I find that if I am even standing next to someone outside who is smoking, my hair and clothes pick up the scent. If I am at a friends house and they are smoking or out at a very smoky restaurant, my throat and nose get raw and my clothes reek. I have to shower immediately to get the smell out of my hair and off of my skin. It clings to one.

My only option is to avoid such places or to pay the price to be in a place I enjoy or with a friend whose company I enjoy. This option only imposes upon me.

I chose to quit smoking for my health. I wouldn't have dreamed of smoking in the home of a non smoker or in a restaurant that wasn't already cloaked in a fog of smoke. It would be rude. As a southern lady (lady being the operative term) such rudeness is reprehensible to me. Smokers who are this rude give all smokers a bad name. My pleasure in a cigarette wasn't worth hurting others. I also love to sing out loud and to walk barefoot...that isn't always appropriate either!

2. rcmommy

rcmommy Well-Known Member

I could not believe the attitude on the other thread. I lived in a home where my mom and dad both smoked. When asked to quit my dad would say it's in his blood that his playpen was a tobacco bin. I lived with the embarrassment of going to school with that stinch. I literally would spray perfume in my hair (which was long and the smell clung to each strand). By the time I was in highschool I had to get up wayyyyyy before everyone else so I would have a spot in our one bathroom home to wash my hair before school. Otherwise...I couldn't stand to sit with myself the smell was so strong. I came home from college to go to dinner with my family one night. Of course the only ones at the table that smoked where my parents...2 out of 7 people smoking...but guess where we HAD to sit. The table directly beside of us...in arms reach...was non smoking. I KNEW THE PEOPLE....and when they were outraged and commented to the waitress about the smoking and asked to move...my dad just laughed, smoked away, and blew it directly in the air above him... Thought it was funny. So that person that thinks smokers don't intentionally smoke or blow smoke to annoy non smokers is wrong. Seen it more than once (not just with my family) they had the same attitude. That it was their right to smoke and if we didn't like it leave the room. It took my mom having a quadruple bipass at 45 to get her to quit. My dad still was strong about the smoking and waiting in a downstairs smoking area while his wife was getting cut open. He still said that smoking was "in his blood...everyone smoked in his day..." He quit less than six months later to support my mom. (could also be that we wouldn't allow them to babysit our kids either because of the smoking). He now hates the smell....appologizes for getting angry or sarcastic with us when we commented on the smell that he never seemed to notice. He said it's amazing how he can tell when someone lights up even outside. He NEVER KNEW HOW MUCH IT SMELLED, STINKED, OR OFFENDED OTHERS UNTIL HE QUIT.

So I am one of the proud people that posted that smoking should be prohibited in restaurants. And I'm sorry but we ALWAYS get told there is a shorter wait for "first available---which always ends up being smoking" versus "nonsmoking". And restaurants cost way too much now to have the experience ruined by "eating" second hand smoke. My kids have no business being exposed to it either.

In my humble opinion....like it or not....smoking is something that is a habit...like picking your nose or biting your nails. Now we all know that it is gross and offensive to do these things. No one wants to be exposed to your dirty habit. But at least those are just a gross factor. I've never had to come home and wash my hair/clothes after witnessing someone pick a "booger" ( :oops: better now?). Think about it. :lol:

3. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

As a northern man, the rudeness of the "southern lady" implying that only southerners have good manners is reprehensible to me.

One short drive on I40 proves otherwise. She's blowing lots of smoke - it's just not out of her mouth.

4. daniellea

daniellea Well-Known Member

Now, some comments are starting to annoy me. For goodness sakes, people, it's a free country.

I hate using that argument!

I know it's stinky. I'm sorry if you don't want to wash your clothes or hair. Frankly, I wash mine everyday, regardless. Being in a smoky restaurant is not going to kill you. Some people smoke and some don't. Some people drink and some don't.

Perhaps, if you didn't pay as much attention to it, and let it bother you so much, it wouldn't. I doubt very seriously that your entire evening could be ruined if you are in the presence of a smoker.

I've thought (and tried) to quit on several occasions. Why? Not for me... frankly, I enjoy smoking thoroughly. I don't think a few years off my life when I'm 80 is too much to give up. The reason I would quit would be because of all the societal problems currently that come from it. It's like peer pressure- only the opposite from what it used to be.

I'm sorry if this post offends people; I truly am. I just get fed up of hearing how smokers are destroying everyone's fun! But, frankly, I don't see all those "rude" smokers that ya'll are talking about. Sorry, rcmommy, if your dad was one, but most smokers I know of try very hard to not impose their annoying, stinky behavior on others!

:x

5. rcmommy

to each his own....Your comments are the ones that are annoying. Plain and simple. I never said I didn't like or not want to "wash my hair" I just think it is horrible when you can't stand the way your clothes or hair smells because of someone's "habit". I think I've read that you have small children or want more kids. Ask your pediatrician the next time you go in what second hand smoke does for infants...ear infection, allergies, early onset of asthma. I know you know it is bad...you are just addicted. It's hard and even harder to make yourself quit or change your thoughts on it if you have no reason to. Well, I'm addicted to icecream...only hurting my thighs though...not anyone elses. :lol:

As far as my dad being a rude smoker....He wasn't rude...he was just stubborn as you are...did what he wanted when he wanted. It was pretty rough on him when I refused to sit in smoking sections anymore with them after we had kids...how I refused to let them smoke in my house or even around my kids in the yard. It was either quit/or just don't smoke...or don't see the grandkids. They are my kids and what I say goes. I know that may be extreme, but frankly thinking that you can smoke all your life and only loose
    is foolish. MY MOM WAS 45...heart attack..quadruple bipass. When your kids get older and you start to wonder if you will live to see your grandkids your mind will change. My parents did...have known a lot of people to do the same thing. Enjoy your life, kids, and family now. Cause smoking or not, you are never promised tomorrow.

Good luck and God Bless!

6. daniellea

My point exactly. I am living my life and enjoying it to the fullest. Cigarettes included.

And I actually believe (although I am willing to bet your comment was made in jest)

that unhealthy eating habits are just as bad for you as smoking.

And I'm sorry about your mom, truly I am, but that's not the way it is for everyone... nay... most people.

And also, I'm sorry if my comments and my smoking (and that of fellow smokers) annoy you, but alas, to each his own, as you said.

I do have small kids, and want more kids. I DO NOT smoke around my children. While I don't believe second hand smoke is as bad as people make it out to be, I grew up in a smoky house, and don't want my children to have to. Do I want them to smoke when they grow up? Of course not. But it's not the end of the world. I'd be much more apt to freak if I found out they were doing drugs, drinking underage, or having sex. I think that I'm raising them to be good, kind and thoughtful children. Smoking doesn't take away my parenting skills, nor does it make me a bad person.

Which is why I get annoyed when people post such nasty things about smokers. Sure, it's a bad habit. Yes, it stinks. But there's a lot worse I could be doing than stinking!!

:lol:

7. rcmommy

Ed...I don't think ubergeek was saying that only non southerners are rude smokers. I think some of the rudest smokers around are "southern natives" who have been raised that it was a way of life. They are used to practically smoking in their sleep. I think she made a very clear illustration of the change she noticed when she stopped smoking...I think that is really the point of all the people complaining about the smoking in restaurants...smokers REALLY DON"T know how bad it is until they quit. So if you are a smoker now, you have no idea and can't understand what it is like for a non smoker.

And NO I don't think smoking makes you a rude person, a bad person, or anything like that. Cause I know that's what it sounds like 8)

8. rcmommy

Daniellea....It was a "jest"... :wink:

I honestly think that when you are ready and you do quit it will really be an eye opener. I don't think I'm annoyed with it...it just really bothers my sinuses (like ubergeek said) and I DO think it effects children's health to be exposed to it. And I never intended you to think your parenting skills are any less than that of a non smoker. You just need to look at your example for your child later on...cause you know you don't want them to smoke.....

And while I said I don't like smoking, I never said anything rude about smokers. I'm sorry if others did.

Enjoy your holiday!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

I think the point about banning smoking is this:

It is harmful to one's health...fact. Second hand smoke is just as harmful...fact. Therefore why should anyone be subject to having to breath noxious fumes while in a public place. We both have as much right to be in the restaraunt, however the cigarette you are burning is harmful to my health...fact.

Think of it this way. If I was addicted to 'huffing' or 'sniffing' gasoline fumes (which are harmful to one's health), would you allow me to sit next to you while you were eating?

10. Anonymous

You just don't get the point, do you? This is not about habits of people, but of the fact that this disgusting smoke is blowing all over everyone and making them stick like they just came out of a forest fire. I quit 10 years ago, cold turkey, after smoking 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day for 17 years. I loved smoking, but it took control of my life and embarrassed my kids that their mom had a filthy habit, I stunk, the house stunk, the car stunk and I didn't think it was so bad. I enjoyed it. But once I stopped I realized how disgusting it really was. Smokers stink, and you can smell one 10 feet away. When you get older your skin looks different than a non-smoker, you cough alot, your breath is permanently horrible, look at your tongue, when you go to the doctor or dentist how embarrassing is that when he says, open your mouth and say ahhhh...... Gross,,,, like I said it is very addicting and you don't realize what you are like until you quit...I found other enjoyable things to do since I quit, and I have also saved a bundle of money that I was able to buy other nice things with.... Take a hard look at yourself and see what you are doing to your family.....

11. Anonymous

I spelled a word wrong==== it was making them "stink" like they just came out of a forest fire. :oops:

12. daniellea

I have no right to say anything about what you do or where you sit. Although, I think huffing is illegal, so some policeman/woman may have something else to say.

Look, I'm not going to say the same thing I've said over and over. I've said my piece--two threads worth-- in regards to smoking.

Sorry if you don't like it... but the fact remains that it's legal, and restauranteurs have every right to make up the rules of their particular establishment. Many have decided they don't want smoking. I still frequent those places... and enjoy them. I just enjoy it better if I can smoke.

I apologize on behalf of all of my smoking comrades for our stink and our breath and our deadly habit. I certainly hope all of you live as healthy as you preach to.

:roll:

13. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

Honestly, daniellea, most of the time it doesn't affect my good time until afterwards. For example, I went out with my husband and my sister last night and we went to play Trivia at a place called Harrisons which is near her house in Cary. The place was very smoky, but I had a great time. Unfortunately, today my throat is red and raw from the smoke and we all smelled like ashtrays after we left. I am not blaming the place or the smokers, cause that's just the kind of place it is.

However, I may see if we can find someplace a little less smoky to go next time....because I gave up smoking so I wouldn't have to have a cough or a sore throat. It is hard to find some place fun to go out on Saturday night that is not full of smoke.

I don't know what the answer is...I just wish there were more places to go where I didn't have to physically suffer for someone else's addiction.

And Ed, there are rude and polite people everywhere...lady was the operative term in the sentence you were referring to in your post, not southern. There are men and women everywhere whose behavior does not qualify them as either a lady or a gentleman. Those are the people who give smokers, non smokers, northerners, southerners or whoever a bad name.

[/i]

14. Anonymous

15. Anonymous

16. rcmommy

17. Anonymous

all habits

Just briefly reading through and I sat to myself thinking.....I wonder what other habits that are out there that we can have the same argument for. Here is a quick list that I came up with.

1) People that where strong perfume. Why do I have to be choked to death by a stench that others might find attractive but I find gagging.

2) People that eat at McD's, BK etc. Why do I have to pay such high medical insurance because people choose to eat fatty, greasy foods and have to go to the hopsital 6 times a year.

3) Water Abusers. Why can I only wash my car or water my lawn on Sun, Wed, Friday because people take 45 minute HOT showers or have 40 acres of land to water and the supply is low.

and the best one yet....

4) People that watch all these reality shows. Why is it that every time I go to watch TV there is nothing on but reality shows because half the world gives them ratings. Outback jack, Batchelor, Batchelorette, Survivor and so on and on and on.

Just thought I would add a little humor to the topic. But seriously, all of the above are habits that people have. Everyone has a habit that might make others gag but that doesnt mean that all should be banned from public places.

Ponder this... Say you were a little overweight and a new law was passed that because you make it hard to get by you on a plane you can no longer fly. Or to stay with the smell idea, say there was a law passed that anyone that where's to much perfume will not be allowed in a restaurant until they clean it off. Or you have a gas problem and for some reason when you "pass wind" it always smells so there now will be a law that prevents you from sitting at a movie theatre because others dont want to smell.

For the record I didnt post this to offend anyone. Just wanted to show that people live everyday with other people that do things that are there choice or "habit" that the rest of us might not like but have to deal with.

I try to be a curteous smoker. I dont light up when others at my table are eating and I try to blow my smoke straight above me.

Have fun. Look forward to reading responces from this. LOL

18. UNCHEELS

UNCHEELS Well-Known Member

Actually, if I remember correctly, a while back there was a rule enacted by the airline industry that if you were seriously overweight, you would need to buy two tickets. I am not sure how they judge who is seriously overweight or how they enforce this but I do remember seeing news articles about it.

19. Anonymous

Smokers can't smell the smoke, and cannot taste anything either. That is why they have no idea how bad their smoke makes your food taste, and how bad it makes you smell. They don't mean to be rude, they just have no clue!

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I fall in the non-smokers category and have left bars and restaurants before because even the non-smoking areas seem to polluted. However, I had a very enjoyable week in Massachusetts this past week. All restaurants and bars are non-smoking, it was nice to get home and not smell like somone elses ashtray. If you are a smoker and wish to smoke, they ask that you go out the deck/balcony or designated smoking area and if you need to take you drink with you they'll be happy to put it in a plastic cup for you. New York is most non-smoking in public places now too, atleast I'm pretty sure they are (except for actual cigar bars.. maybe we should just invent cigarette bars too...)

I know it would be wishful thinking to hope this is a trend that will find its way to North Carolina...

tassy