Smoking in Public

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ubergeek, Sep 4, 2004.

?

Should public restaurants ban smoking?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

I come from a family of tobacco farmers, but I also have very bad asthma ...so you can see my dilemma. North Carolina may be one of the last places to ever have strict smoking laws, but it will come eventually.

The problem is getting better all by itself, because when you look around at all the people who smoke ...you notice it not only isn't cool anymore, it makes you look stupid. If you're puffing on a cigarette nowdays, you may as well be dragging your nuckles.

I've never understood why people think I'd rather smell their cigarette than the aroma from my 9oz filet mignon. I guess smokers are just stupid like that. The answer is simple for me, I don't eat in restaurants where the smoking is storng enough to bother me. I take my money elsewhere.

2. daniellea

daniellea Well-Known Member

Nice, judgemental post there... watch who you call stupid, k?

:roll:

3. Anonymous

Nothing personal daniella ...I'm sure you wouldn't smoke near my filet mignon. :wink: ...But I'm sure that cigarette hanging out of your mouth, doesn't do much for your intellectual prestige either.

I guess we all have our vices, and as long as I don't have to breathe your smoke or kiss you ...enjoy! Smoking will eventually kill you though. My uncle smoked 2-3 packs a day most of his life and it finally caught up with him ...at 82 years old. When he turned 80 he told his doctor he was going to smoke just as many as he damn well pleased even if it did shorten his life.

4. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

I thought smoked meat was supposed to be good. :lol:

5. Anonymous

Amen, you smokers go and kill yourselves if you want to. However, when I can't see and breath b/c my eyes and nose are severely effected by your disgusting habit then you are imposing on me. It's no longer your right to enjoy your cancer stick when you are blowing smoke everywhere that others have to breath.

6. Sandy Lewis

Sandy Lewis Well-Known Member

I just have to say I liked Ed's post the best!! You gotta put a funny spin on this sometimes. Everyone relax take a smoke break. :lol:

7. Anonymous

Had to make sure I read the post from asthmatic tobacco farmer right....

...My uncle smoked 2-3 packs a day most of his life and it finally caught up with him ...at 82 years old. When he turned 80 he told his doctor he was going to smoke just as many as he damn well pleased even if it did shorten his life.

I think if he lived to be 80 he didn't exactly "shorten" his life.

8. Anonymous

Your pretty quick there, guest. Nothing gets past you does it. :wink:

9. Anonymous

My grandfather smoked nasty smelling cigars all his life and he lived to be 102. Your genetic makeup has a lot more to do with your lifespan than your bad habits. However you can change your odds. Look at your family, did dad die at 56 with a heart attack? Did Uncle Joe die at 62 with emphysema(COPD)? Did granddad die at 65 with a stroke? All of these things are linked to smoking, and when you are smoking , you shorten your lifespan. If you refrain, who knows how much longer you will live than your smoking relatives? I have heard the argument that you have to die of something, at least I will enjoy what takes me out. Anyone who says that needs to spend a day in a hospital room with someone dying with COPD. Trust me , they are not enjoying where their smoking habit has brought them! Just imaging fighting for every breath, feeling as if you are drowning. And it is not a slow death. Choose another path for yourself!

10. Anonymous

OOPs, hard to make a point when you misspeak yourself! I meant it is a slow death! Seen these folks linger for months. Yes, it is my job to take care of them. I would rather go out in a nice quick car accident myself, when I outlive my grandfather, of course!

11. Anonymous

12. Anonymous

Just more proof that smoking kills.

13. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

"Since I had 1 lung removed I've cut my smoking in half!"

The great thing that makes this America is that if I want to walk outside light up a cigarette take a big drag and blow smoke circles out my butt ......I CAN!!!!! If I want to buy a cigar the size of a baseball bat and smoke the darn thing outside .... I CAN!!!!

If I was standing there first, and as long as I'm out in the open air just put some damn distance between me and you. OOOps. .... I forgot ... you can't do that without your big SUV (ozone killing monster) stuck under that fat lazy butt of yours. Walking may upset that fat steak you just wolfed down. What a bunch of darn babies.

Well to all of you who are whinning about smoking; The tobacco industry lawsuit has been funding your state and every other state for the last 5 years with MILLIONS. Money intended for the medical care of smokers is being used in State General Funds. You keep whinning and moaning and your going to kill the cash cow that underwrites all the other stupid programs you whinners created. Not to mention all the tax money smokers pay to the state. Look it up BOZO's

We could totally eliminate smoking and you putz's would still have something to whine about.

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I would like to personally invite all of you folks who aren't allowed to smoke in public, to come join me on my front porch for a stogie.

You know, the porch, the place I've been sentenced to because I'm not allowed to smoke in my own house? LOL

15. Anonymous

Southern Lady

Sir, as a southern gentleman I do not think the southern lady was either being rude or implying anything, northern or otherwise. Grow up fella.

16. Fatboy

Fatboy Well-Known Member

Ban Smoking

You people forget what this post is about; it is about a law to ban smoking.
    This is not what we need, if a owner of a restaurant wants to ban smoking in his place of business then he should be able to do that and if he wants his customers to be able to smoke anywhere in his place of business then he should have the right to do that too. Then you as a consumer have the right to pick which restaurant to give your money to and the one that has the most customers stays in business and the other goes out of business or then maybe they both stay in business and we all get what we want and we don’t make any stupid law that only makes one group happy because the government should not try to make a law to protect us from ourselves. That should be our right to screw up on our own if we want to.

17. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

There's no difference between smoking in a crowded restaurant and farting in a crowded elevator, other than the fart not being harmful to people's health.

18. Anonymous

Talk about rude.

19. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Indeed!

20. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Ed, I have to disagree with you on this....I travel frequently, and smoke, and I have to say that I've smelled (and dealt :lol: ), some gnarly farts in elevators! Some potent enough to make your hair fall out!

Peace.