Snooping co-worker poll

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Richard Head, Nov 23, 2005.

?

What would you do if you discovered a co-worker had gone through your desk?

1. Confront them about it?

100.0%
  2. Take that type stuff home in the future and ignore the situation?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Let the boss know what happened and let them handle it?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Richard Head

Richard Head Well-Known Member

I recently found out that a co-worker went through my desk and observed personal materials. (ie. time sheets and paystubs). I'm just curious what you might do in this situation.

2. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

i would tell the boss but i may also ask them what they were looking for ...i have never been one to avoid confrontation.
    but it should be handle diplomatically.

3. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

I would confront them and then tell the boss....

At most places...messing with someone paystub is a reason to be fired!

4. Romworks

Romworks Well-Known Member

If you were absolutely sure it was this person I would confront them. Ask them what they were looking for. If they have a hard time answering that question then you know that they were peuposely looking for somethign else and then handle it appropriately.

5. C_Troy

C_Troy Well-Known Member

This guy here said that it would be best to just hold it in and wait for things to build up until you have one big explosion at work. :D

[​IMG]

6. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting too! :D Walking carefully as to not implode accidentally before I get set off! :lol:

7. stabillski

stabillski Well-Known Member

whoop his azz! :x

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I would skip the boss and go to HR. But on your poll, I chose tell boss.

9. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

You know, that is just common as hell! Some people are too nosy for their own good!

Auxie likes this.
  10. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

A desk is personal space. I would ask them why they thought it was neccessary? If it was innocent, tell them that you prefer no one go into your desk if it was not so innocent, let them know that if it happened again, that you would go to human resources (aka HR) about the issue.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually the day of the desk being a “Personal Space” is going away fast some of the business I go to now days have shared desks with a place to plug in your laptop and everything else is shared. I would not put anything in my desk or on my computer that is personal in nature if I did not want others to see. One of the reasons I choose “notify the Boss” is that this could be a security issue, depending on what type of business you are in.

12. corrosion

corrosion Well-Known Member

do they have a desk?...if so,buy a cheap cartridge of grease,the brown smelly kind. wipe globs of it under the lips of one or two of the drawer pulls.
    he will be reminded of you all day!
    a can of sardines mixed with milk placed in his cubicle will have him sharing the love as well.

13. tawiii

tawiii Guest

The department I use to work for with the state would just lay your pay stub on your desk, even if you were not there. They claimed that your pay is public information so there is no reason try and hide it. Some places don't consider anything private.

I would tell the boss that you are going to confront the POS and make it clear that you do not like that. That way if anything ever comes of it then you can always say "well, the boss knew".

14. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Next time the coworker goes on vacation, slip a dead fish in his/her desk.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

bet that'll be stinking within a few days.... :shock: :lol:

16. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I would buy a mouse trap and place it in the desk drawer ready to snap - call the co-worker over and ask them to open the drawer. When they did they would get the picture you knew what they did and wasn't thrilled. I would imagine this would be a much worse feeling than having a chat with the boss. Besides, you would get to watch them squirm...if the boss calls them in you likely would miss out on it. If it happened again, I think I would announce to everyone in the office a suggestion for locks on all desk drawers while looking at the offender.

I am pretty much a straight up person. While I don't particularilly enjoy confrontation, I do like people to know that I am no slouch. Sometimes it can't be avoided, that's life.

But, my answer to your ? is simply this - weigh the options and choose to do what feels best for you personally. Don't let too much water pass under the bridge if you plan to address it.

17. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

That's a GREAT idea! :)