Snow

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jan 11, 2016.

1. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Back in the day we would often stand our jeans up. Lol. Get wet and freeze solid.
    Long johns back than sucked too. Cotton.
    The best now is a fleece lined polypropylene.
    Warm and dry

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We always had a mud room when I was growing up. All first layer clothing and shoes were taken off in that room. I started school in Norway and we did the same thing.

Sherry

3. Sherry A.

You too.

Sherry

Auxie likes this.
  4. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Granma would sweep the snow off with the broom! Seriously... Wet boots went on some newspaper or in the boot tray. Mud rooms were pretty popular.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...6fnJWhXcRx6lCrQ6rPc1zVRdqL2XwSPA0GxoClynw_wcB

5. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

It is called a mud room
    usually between the back door of the house and the outside back entrance

6. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

A lot of homes up north have what they call "mud rooms" just for these types of situations. Usually at the rear entrance they will typically have concrete or tiled floors with drains in the middle. We had coat and boot racks in ours so we just walked in and took all of our outer gear off. After everything had drained and dried we would just throw a pail of water to wash anything left on the floor down the drain.

7. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sherry. We should be OK provided we don't lose our very good friend, Reddy.

[​IMG]

Hught and Sherry A. like this.
  8. jrgleason2003

jrgleason2003 New Member

Typically, in WNY, we just kicked the snow off our boots as we entered the house. Then all the snowy layers would come off there where we hung them up. Put a towel under where the coats, boots, etc... where and walked on into the house.

Auxie likes this.
  9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

power is flickering where I live and I know several people whose power is totally out

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    Haven't posted in some time,started snowing here in Happy Valley,near Blowing Rock,last night and is supposed to continue until tomorrow,wish I could have posted a picture but can't do it from the IPad.
    Looks like the Raleigh area is getting mostly ice rain so far!?

11. Sherry A.

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Anyone been out 40 42 area?

13. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Cleveland and Shiloh Road Area: Weather wasn't bad. Very small amount of ice and snow. Power out yesterday from about 4:45 PM (interment outage for about 3 hours before that) until 10:45 pm. Cable and internet came on around 2:45 PM today. Roads clear 32 Degrees.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. Rockyv58

okay we have had our one snow/ice event. Spring come in :)

Auxie likes this.
  16. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

My Mom's car in Carlisle PA..............she posted "I found it". LOL!!! [​IMG]

Rockyv58 likes this.
  17. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Omgawd, that is unbelievable, lol!

18. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

I know!! I think she's ready to move to NC now, LOL. Her husband passed away a few years ago, so she is up there by herself. She can't use a snow blower due to her pacemaker, so shoveling was her only option (and really, someone with a pacemaker does not need to be shoveling! :mad:).

SO glad some of her coworkers came and helped her finish up, she still wasn't able to go to work last night, it is insane. I was freaking out that she was trying to shovel that mess. I want her HERE so we can help.

19. Rockyv58

With the power outage that a lot of us had last weekend. It made me think. I have my home phone through TWC and I know my neighbor has hers through Magic Jack. I know a lot of people go through that and other types. So when we lost power we lost home phone. I am debating maybe going back and just having Century link so this way if I lose power I will at least have home phone service.
    With out power how many of us started up our cars just to charge up our cell phones? :)

20. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I just had my generator running :D Our power was out for 52 hours total, had the generator on for about 40 of those or so. Just turned it off from like midnight to 6am each day. Between the generator and fireplace, we were just like normal at home. Although I did go through quite a bit of wood keeping the house at 75F :)

If you want a backup to charge your phone, get one of these - http://www.limefuel.com/pages/product-blast
    2500-3000 mAh will completely charge your phone from 0-100% once. So the largest one they sell could completely charge 2 phones from empty to full at least 3 times each.

Hught and Rockyv58 like this.