Someone explain this

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Sep 5, 2006.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

While at Carolina Beach this weekend we noticed a very odd thing - GAS PRICES WERE $2.42 - $2.52 Why, within a 2 hour drive is there over a 30cent difference per gallon. We started noticing prices going down the closer and closer we got to Wilmington. Don't say supply and demand cause, trust me, this weekend there was plenty of demand.

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Oh you mean like around here? :lol: Still that does not explain the difference in the price per gallon - are they getting it that much cheaper than the stations around here?

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

News last night (I don't remember which one) did a story on this where in Cumberland county there were drastic prices differences from Spring Lake to Fayetteville. The conclusion was it was a price war.

4. ncsta8lady

ncsta8lady Guest

Is it because they are near the ports in Wilmington where gas comes in and transportation cost is minimal??? I'm asking???

Don't know this to be the reason nor would I argue the point but that is what I always thought the reasons for cheaper gas and higher prices all the way to the mountain.

5. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

It's always cheaper there than here for some reason. We were in Sanford yesterday and it was 2.42 there as well....I think it's still like 2.75 up at 210. Of course if you're looking for bargains, don't go there anyway...LOL

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are correct sir. Pipes are usually much more cost efficient, I am not sure about the NC coast howevr (rarely work in the neighborhood).

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are correct sir. Pipes are usually much more cost efficient, I am not sure about the NC coast howevr (rarely work in the neighborhood).

8. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

$2.45 this weekend in Williamsburg, VA.

Didn't get goosed on Apollo's Chariot.

P.S. $2.57 at some of the stations in Fuquay.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My sis says it's $2.33 in Roanoke, VA. Maybe it's time to move back! :D

10. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Much cheeper at Morehead City this weekend also. I cannot remember the price but it as a DEAL!

Side Note- The beach was EMPTY. We had Morehead to ourselves, no one was there. So much for Labor Day w/e being the last big family vacation of the summer.

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

2.55 at salter path/indian beach/emerald isle...

side note: the island certainly wasn't empty. it wasn't as crowded as i've seen on labor days past, but i wouldn't call it empty exactly....lots of people probably cancelled reservations or just plain changed plans based on early reports of the hurricane....i know i was worried up until friday morning....but my family owns the place we go to, so i didn't have to cancel early to avoid being charged or anything....

12. Fighting Camel

Fighting Camel Well-Known Member

I travel I-40/I-85 from here to Greensboro a lot. Seems like its always 15-30 cents a gallon cheaper around Mebane/Burlington for some reason.

13. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

I go to Fayetteville at least once a week, and I always fill up in Lillington. The gas there is dependably at least 10 - 20 cents cheaper, and it was also down to $2.52 last weekend.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ok, so it seems everywhere around us is cheaper than we are, still no explanation why.

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Bought gas at BJ's yesterday, $2.54........ :D

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Kaci, these folks may be able to give you an answer (how meaningful is another thing). 8)
    http://www.ncpma.org/

17. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

It's because we are in the Triangle. If Chuck Amato can command $100 per ticket from 50,000 fans for a football game then we are fool enough to spend our money on higher gas prices too. :shock:

18. chik

chik Well-Known Member

Wow it's cheaper there than right here where I am at. Of course I live in the "highest incorporated city in America" 10,200 ft. and gas isn't cheap. Think getting it here causes higher prices so we are at $3.05...which is down from the $3.21 it was....

Auxie likes this.