Sour towels? Help.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ljk, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

My mom always adds bleach to her towels. Over time the color fades, but by the time they're really faded, they're pretty thread-bare anyway.

2. Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl Well-Known Member

Would Clorox2 for colors still take the smell away? I always use Clorox 2 for all colors whether it is clothes or towels, but haven't come across the smelly towel problem before. I think that is because we seem to constantly do laundry in our house.

3. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Considering how long a wash cycle takes, you'd only make a few cents a day. If you consider the cost of detergent it just wouldn't be worth the trouble. You should probably wish for more.

4. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Ok towels are back in! Thanks all.

Since we are thinking laundry and I want to get out of my laundry room.... any advice for pit stains? Hubby has some nice dress shirts with under arm stains and I have tried 101 ideas with no luck. I hate to toss these nice shirts!

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

No hint for already stained - but I have gotten in the habit of spraying 'Shout' on Dh's collar and under-arms of all his shirts before washing them cause I had the same problem - (esp with white shirts) and it's helped.

6. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

stains

If the pit and collar stains are on a white shirt, try a little hydrogen peroxide on it. Just dont use the peroxide on colors, it will fade them.

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

No, you need the chlorine to kill the bacteria or fungus that causes the odor.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

see my first response.....:mrgreen:

9. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

Gee, since you know SO much about laundry dear, I'll let you do it tonight for a change!:lol:

10. KellBell

how'd they turn out ljk? what'd you end up using/doing?

11. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

They smell wonderful. Yea. Who would have thought something like nice smelling towels would make my day??? I combined theories and did bleach and baking soda!! No detergent or softener and they are back to fluffy non sour towels!

(I cannot STAND to dry off with something that smells worse than I did before my shower!!!!:lol::lol::lol:)

Now I have my pool towels in the same just for the fun of it. The kids lay them out and use them day after day. Ick.

Thanks everyone.

12. KellBell

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I am glad it worked. Clorox is good for just about anything.....just have to be careful with colorfast items. I Love the smell of it too, its just the smell of clean to me.

13. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I usually avoid it because I have bleach stains on everything. Shirts I wear when I do whites etc.... so I was actually nervous today, saying Kelly wouldnt steer me wrong when I poured it in!! LOL

14. KellBell

LOL...I wouldn't steer you wrong girl....you just have to let the washer fill up about half way....so it gets good and diluted. and you did and it worked!! :mrgreen:

15. Snuffleufogous

Snuffleufogous Well-Known Member

You always beat me to it:lol:

16. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

YEAH!!!

Those summer pool towels can ger really RANK! Ewwwww! ;)