Spankings?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Dec 10, 2009.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:iagree: My son has been spanked, rarely. I was spanked as a child and no harm was done. BIG difference between a swat on the butt and abuse, IMO. I will also say that some of the most misbehaved children I've run across are the ones whose parents don't spank. 8) IMO, yelling all the time is much worse for their self esteem than an occasional swat on they hiney.

2. Panther Crazy

Panther Crazy Well-Known Member

"Tell him I said Hi right back". In those days getting the paddle was just an excepted practice. Kindergarten - 8th grade in Michigan, 9th in WVa, and they all had a paddle. I guess they figured in High school we were strong enough to snatch it away and paddle the principal :lol:

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Sorry you had it that bad.

4. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

On the contrary. I like to think my parents' strict rules is what put me on a straight path. Look at your local idiots around here and I'll show you slack parenting.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

6. AMEN!!! That's the rule I live by to the extreme sometimes. I tolerate NO bad behavior from my kids when we're around other people. If other people's kids act bad, my kids look at them like they are crazy. I expect the same from others if my kids act up.

7. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: Of course, your kids will not be the ones acting up because they are getting the proper parenting as to how to act in public. I used to love it when my kids looked at others like they were from Mars for acting like idiots. They would also look at me to see what I thought about it. They are always watching us to see what to do or what is expected.
    I really wish more parents would teach self-control to their kids, but I realize that many do not because they have no clue themselves. Sad.

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Since I'm a dad I use my discretion in discipling my own child. First and foremost, I try to remember God as Heavenly Father and how much patience He exudes toward His children and I try to emulate that. "Spare the rod...spoil the child" doesn't have to mean sailing on your kid for the least little thing. You'll find that God is the epitome of a patient father, yet He will discipline after giving us enough chances.

That said, as I've stated before I try to use other means before using corporal punishment AND every kid is different. Some kids seem to respond better with "timeout" or removing pleasures as punishment. The one time that I consider spanking before anything else is with any display of blatant disrespect and especially so in public.

If your nearly grown child gets out on the side of a roadway and disrepects authority, he or she can expect to be taken to the woodshed by the police until they submit to authority and then they'll get their timeout.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Whoop 'em!!!!

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

11. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Same here. I did have to stand in the corner a few times, but most of the time I got a spanking. To be honest, I have more respect for my parents and authority figures than the kids do now. They have no respect for adults, the elderly, teachers or anyone and they have no respect for others property. Personally I think if parents cracked down and handed out a few more spankings and make these kids accountable for their actions, there would no be so many problems. JMO

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

13. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

My husband is the main disciplinary figure. And I am learning that since I have teenage boys who are starting to "feel" themselves so to speak, when things get a little bit "nervy" with them or their mouths start writing checks they can't cash, hubby has to "lay 'em out". Not punch or hit or slap....He picks them up (in a body slam move) and puts them in the floor and gets eye to eye, nose to nose and explains just exactly WHO runs the show. It ususally does the trick. When they were little they got their butts fried if they needed it. Now, things are different.

Speaking of which, anyone here willing to have me visit when hubby has to reiterate theses things to the boys?? I tend to want to defend them and I know that I can't. Well, it's pretty darn cold out now and I need a place to go when WWE starts up.. LOLOLOLOL:):lol::mrgreen: