sprint dsl question

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by cynadon, Jul 21, 2012.

1. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Why does my internet go down every time we have a thunderstorm? (sprint dsl). My brother in law is a sprint tech, works with switches, not homes. He says its a bottle neck in Rocky Mount. I live way off the the road but my line is good. Anybody else have issues.

I understand if everybody went to check the radar at the same time the line would be "busy" but I don't think that's the case.

2. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I don't know that this has anything to do with lightning or thunder but I got to where I called it in every single time it happened. They finally sent a tech out. He changed out the modem, did his little diagnostics, etc. He finally advised our signals are going out from here but once they hit CL's equiptment, they are not going to the sites we request. The way we were told to solve it is to turn the puter off for minute then turn the modem off for a minute. Then power everything back up. Well, it does work but it is sure a pain in the kiester. I understand fully what is going on with it but I am shy on the terminology so I won't write it. Suffice it to say, this works for us.

3. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

turning the modem off works for me also. It takes a minute or two. I'm just curious as to why it happens during storms. I can't believe its lightning every time.

4. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

I would suspect the possibility of water (rain) getting into the circuit at their box, or at the connection where it comes into the house. A moisture short can cause all sorts of issues. (Although if it is cleared up each time just by cycling the modem, it's doubtful if water is the problem.)