Stone Pillars, What are They??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by stonecold, Mar 23, 2008.

1. stonecold

stonecold Guest

Around town I have seen a number of concrete markers with the letters MV on them. They usually come in pairs. Does anybody know what their purpose is?

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

They are meter valves. You usually see them located in someones yard in a subdivision. They are there to allow water metering for an entire subdivision.

On the other hand, if they are in a person yard you do not like, you can go up to them and tell them it means Must Vacate.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

OH! I ALWAYS wondered what they were. But sometimes I see them in the middle of nowhere, are those for future subdivisions? There is another one, BO - what does that one mean?

4. Grinder

No they are not necessarily for future subdivisions. Just a valve for metering the water amount that flows through that area.

BO are blow off valves.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

See I thought it stood for Body Oder so I would just keep my windows up. Ha! Thanks.

6. trailblazer

trailblazer Active Member

What does blow off valve mean?
    And for the MV ones, if I go up to one will I find a readable meter near by or is it underground or something? I called surveyors to find out what these posts mean because it was driving me crazy and they told me they were markers for tree names. I knew that wasn't right b/c I never saw the trees they mentioned nearby. My husband thanks you - he doesn't have to hear, "What ARE those things" anymore. :allears: :)

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

MV=Main valve

usually near a water metering device.

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Correct. It is so if they have a water main break, they can find the closest "main valve" to shut off the water. Also why they are in the middle of no where sometimes.

9. Grinder

Yep..sorry. I was told wrong a few years ago.

10. trailblazer

OK, so what about the BO

Ok, what is the BO for?:?:

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

^^^

12. trailblazer

Which means....?

Do we know what a blow off valve is? I wikipedia'ed it and see a definition for a combustion process. I'm assuming this one is related to water distribution somehow, right?

13. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

Where can I get one of those...there's a yard I'd like to send that message.....Oh! Nevermind8)

:lol::lol::lol:

14. Grinder

A blow off valve is just a valve that can be opened, when needed, to blow the water lines out or flush the lines..kinda like when you see a fire hydrant open and water gushing out of it...they are flushing the lines.

If you are trying to hook up to a water line and there is no tap...and you need to install one, you can cut the water off at the MV, then open the BOV to flush the water and then tap to the waterline.

15. trailblazer

You Rock!

Mystery solved. Thanks so much!!