Stores you would like to see come to 40/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, May 30, 2012.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I could save a ton of money (gas is expensive) and time if I didn't have to constantly run to White Oak. And traffic on I40 is terrible between this exit and that so have to take the back-roads a lot,and it is more than 5 minutes for us each way, it is more like 15-20 dependent upon the time of day. For me it is about convenience. Not to mention it would be nice to support more business located in Johnston County instead of always having to spend my money in Wake.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

people are lazy...god forbid if this was all hypothetical and mere wants..

3. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Really? It takes you 15-20 minutes to get from 40/42 to White Oak? I live near Mcgees Crossroads and it has never taken me more than 20 from there to get to White Oak whether I take 40 or the back roads. It's been my experience that traffic on 40W is only backed up during the morning hours...unless there is a wreck or something. And I actually run into less traffic being able avoid 42.

I go to White Oak about once a week, which is 6 miles at most from 40/42. I
    definitely would not save a ton in gas by having things at 40/42. If someone said Target would be at exit 319 and it would save me 20 minutes, I would go for it. But 5 minutes and 6 miles isn't going to change my life.

Our experiences are obviously different, which answers my question about reasoning. I guess i still dont understand how it could take one person 5 minutes and another 20 to get somewhere from the same spot, but thanks for your answer! :)

4. LovingLife10

Yes, I realize it's hypothetical. But even hypothetically I wouldn't want another big box store when there is already one in the area. Hypothetically, I would suggest stores that aren't within a ten mile radius. I was just asking what the reasoning was for wanting that.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

People can't even post a WISH list without getting their crap jumped or a smart *** answer. Lovely.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Was just thinking that.

Wish lists and dreams don't need to be practical. Have fun with the dreams of these stores coming to the immediate area, it's not like it's really gonna happen!

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Red Lobster!

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

In that case, I'd like a Fry's Electronics and a WeirdStuff Warehouse (or clone) in the area. (Anywhere in the Triangle really).

9. LovingLife10

Wow! So sorry that being genuinely "curious" about why someone would suggest something that I never would have thought to suggest was such an issue. I certainly didn't intended to "jump anyone's crap." I beleive someone else commented earlier that a used book store would never make it. Noone seemed to think they were shattering anyone's wishes. Now that my "crap has been jumped," feel free to keep wishing....

My wish would be for some better restaurants and a Trader Joes. And if anyone wanted to know why, I'd be glad to explain :)

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Please do.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You don't think the comments how it could POSSIBLY take someone 20 minutes to get to White Oak was not the least bit snarky? REALLY?

I work on Josephine and yes, it takes 20 minutes to get to White Oak. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

12. LovingLife10

Trader Joe's because I like Charles Shaw wine...it's cheap but good and they sell it there. Closest one that I know of is in Raleigh. Restaurants because I'm a foodie. I love the addition of Terrafin and would like to be able to eat at more restaurants with that type of food. Applebees, TGI Fridays, Chilis and others in the immediate area are not as good to me.

13. LovingLife10

I didn't say how could it take twenty minutes to get to white oak from your home or work. My initial comment was that it takes five minutes from 40/42. Her reply was that it takes her twenty minutes from there. That is what I found impossible.

14. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

5 minutes from 40/42? When at 2:00 AM? The highway sucks between the two. Not realistic. Your kung fu is weak.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If you take Cornwallis, its absolutely still takes 20 minutes from 4042. I've done it frequently. It might take YOU only 5 mintues on 40, but that is obviously under optimal traffic conditions. Some of us are not afforded the luxury of only traveling when traffic conditions are ideal.

16. LovingLife10

Well then hopefully you can see why I was so thoroughly confused. It truly has never taken me over 20 minutes from my house near Mcgees and I don't have the luxury of traveling there during optimal traffic hours. I go for dinner, to go to the doc, or to go to Target at many different times of the day depending on the day of the week. The only time I ever experience traffic issues on 40 going W is in the morning or if there is a wreck. Every other time the majority of the traffic is going the speed limit of 70 or over in most cases.

I take Raleigh to Cleveland to Cornwallis a lot too to get to the Walmart side of 42 and to get to White Oak and have the same experience with traffic and time. This is why I wrote in my post back to pocahontas that we obviously have different experiences and thanks for her answer. I wasn't being sarcastic, I was truly surprised, and after her answer understood why she would suggest those stores.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Gee, I don't know, maybe people would just prefer to have stuff they like nearby? Doesn't necessarily make them lazy as someone else made the smart *** comment about. Me? I'm pressed for time most of the time and I'm already at 4042 every day anyway. Soon it will make no nevermind to me since we are probably moving the office to Garner anyway.

Traffic at White Oak is a nightmare. I live near Archer Lodge and I now go to Knightdale for the most part because I detest the way that shopping center is set up, you can't get anywhere in there without waiting forever. And forget trying to turn left into there from 70 coming from Clayton.

It was a WISH list, like someone else said, ain't like it's gonna happen anyway.

18. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

No blood, no foul. But it really does take me 15-20min to get to White Oak. And I really would like to spend more of my money in the county I live in. I wouldn't mind a Justice store either. I have to drive all the way to Crossroads for that. You can't tell me there aren't enough kids out here to support one, we have a pretty young demographic. There are kids everywhere.

19. mypaperheart

mypaperheart Active Member

I live near the intersection of 42/50 (about 1 minute from the Don Lee's gas station) and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to White Oak wether I take 40 or go down 50. It would be nice to have one at the 40/42 area so that I could save gas!

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You know, I've been reading the last few posts and wondering...

Rather than wish for new stores crowding the 4042 area that already exist at White Oak, why not just wish for a better/faster way to get to White Oak?