Stores you would like to see come to 40/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, May 30, 2012.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That area is such a mess. If I lived on that side of town I wouldn't ask for more stores until there is a viable plan for growth of the infrastructure.

Oh heck, There's no need for planning, just buy a lot and plop down a building, it's worked well so far. :roll:

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I RARELY to to White Oak anymore, people drive like maniacs.

3. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

are you referring to my sarcasm skills?

4. ServerSnapper

sorry that was me....

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I remember in 1986 when we started hearing talk about a Citgo coming to our area. Before that, it was just DR's...No I40.

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

:iagree:

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

And I remember when I was working down the road on Cleveland Rd. that everyone got super excited when McDonald's opened at 42.,traffic wasn't an issue back then ;)

8. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

There is a new road that connects Hwy 50 to White Oak. It saves me a few minutes. It still takes me about 15 minutes to get to White Oak from Hwy 42/50 (near where I live). It really depends on the traffic.

9. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

only thing i have ever liked about carlie c is the cakes almost taste like homemade with a cheaper price.

10. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Interesting dreams. How about a place we can take our horse and dog in.

I have weekly appointments by Triangle Town Mall, near I-540 and US 1/Capital Blvd. My drive time from 40/42 is generally 25-35 minutes. Very reasonable. When I go to White Oak my reward is a stop at Char Grill, where I get my 10% discount and a good burger and then shop for the essentials at Best Buy, the office supply stores, and Target. That short drive is not a problem, except when the Clayton By-Pass shuts down I-40 traffic. These are some of the fastest driving conditions I've had in my last 30 towns. I must tell you that my wife is excited about the new grocery coming to Garner. The staff has always been so kind to her when she rode in on her horse during mule days. But to dream about a new store, would be to dream about Italian bread not plastic wrapped, with hard crust, chewy insides and a stick of butter near a lake or river where we could canoe while chewing. It brings back memories of Stratford on Avon in Canada. A meat market where we could get high grade fresh cut steaks that could be eaten without a knife like the stockyard inns in Chicago or Lancaster or Berne's in Tampa. A restaurant where the smoke rises and flavors the air within blocks of split chickens cooking between wire grates over wood fire pits. Little diners along the highways serving soft waffles covered with pulled chicken in gravy or white sauce. For breakfast waffles with high grade light amber maple syrup and real butter instead of flavored corn syrup and soy bean rejects. But since we are dreaming, let's add a library with colorful carpeting, monthly art exhibits, low music, 25,000 sq. ft. for books shelves and computer lab, work space and book storage hidden from the patrons, modern rest rooms, freshly prepared snack area, and modern heating and air-conditioning, meeting rooms, and small childen's theater. The local library could serve as the used book store with another 25,000 sq. ft. or so in sales area. Even Cleveland Library has more inventory in free new books to give away (27-30,000) and new and used duplicates for sale (nearly 50,000) than many used book stores. The bottom line that dreamers don't concern themselves with is whether the new business or project will be supported enough by the community to stay in business. Keep dreaming, or better yet, start and support something.

11. ServerSnapper

Dude....We get it

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

A few things

Kohl's is 8.4 miles from Glen Rd @ 4042. In current traffic (right this minute) it is a 12 minute drive. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...aI-Lx0gHkoeh-&oi=local_result&ved=0CB4Q_BIwAA

Kohl's is 14.8 miles from 40 @ McGees. In current traffic (right this minute) it is a 17 minute drive. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...aI-Lx0gHkoeh-&oi=local_result&ved=0CB4Q_BIwAA

Tell me how is this five miles/five minutes?

That said... if I could have stores closer - and not neccessarily right around the corner, @ 4042 or 42 E it would have to be an Aldi's and a Trader Joes. A toy store would be nice, too. I don't mind driving to White Oak, Smithfield, or Garner for things. I plan trips accordingly. Ie: I don't drive all the way to White Oak just to pick up one thing from Target. I might go to the bank, stop in at Kohl's, etc.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Luv some Cleo! :jester:

14. Cleopatra

I think you should find someone else to plague.

15. Cleopatra

Seriously, five minutes? What, in the Magic Schoolbus?

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I was thinking maybe a magic carpet or someone is breaking some serious speed limit laws. :mrgreen:

17. Cleopatra

Go-Go Gadget Copter!

18. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Is Ron a redhead?

19. Cleopatra

No, he's a Silverback :lol:

20. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Again, different perspectives, I guess. I mapquested it too yesterday to make sure I wasn't totally off base in wondering how it could take 20 minutes. My query came back a little different than yours.
    7.5 miles - 8 minutes http://mapq.st/JE6Rt0 When I said five minutes up the road, I hadn't mapquested it and was estimating the time it usually takes me. Looks like I had a three minute error based on my mapquest, which in my experience usually over estimates time. It seems to me that you are questioning my estimate just as I was questioning someone's estimate of 20 minutes. I'm not sure what makes it wrong for me to genuinely want to know why there was such a difference. I think I must have come across as being sarcastic in my initial response questioning the 20 minutes, but like I said before and won't be saying again, I was really curious when I said, "really?" I apologize to whomever took it that way. I realize too that none of you know me (well maybe some of you do), but it is in my personality to be curious, not confrontational or sarcastic. When something doesn't jive with what I previously thought, I like to know why so I can reform my ideas if I'm off base. Next time I'm curious about someone's thinking process, I'll remind myself to preface my question with something that lets everyone know I'm not trying to be "snarky" as many of you are currently being towards me. I've gotten the point from you all, but if you'd like to continue to ridicule, if it makes you feel better to test out your own sarcasm skills, I'll gladly be your guinea pig (or your inspector gadget or Aladdin or whatever other witty remarks you can come up with today).