Strawbale Gardening - no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Strawbaleman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Lantanalane

Lantanalane Member

Got my bales!

But I had to pay $4.25 a bale. Highway robbery!!!!

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Lantanalane: some of my friends in the bale garden forum at www.davesgarden.com have paid double that in some parts of the country in seasons past.

- - - - - - - - - -

We just had a nice little rain shower come through. After it passed, I went out and checked on my bales.

They are purring along nicely anywhere from 80 - 100 degrees.

The frames help a lot in retaining the heat (and moisture) so the decomposition process can work more efficiently.

3. Lantanalane

Lantanalane Member

Kent,

There's a guy in Smithfield who is selling wheat bales for $2 if anyone is close by there. Found him on Craigslist.

Meant to ask you how you put up all your surplus last year, by your pics you certainly had a beautiful harvest!

4. nozlnut

nozlnut Guest

Kent,
    If I'm understanding this correctly, if I am not going to use the 10 day quick cook method, I can go ahead now and get my bales set up and start watering them? I was thinking the bales would get to soft by the time I was ready to plant.

5. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

1. You are correct.
    2. The softer/more decomposed the bales, the better.
    3. Welcome aboard!

6. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I friend of mine told me that a neighbor did some straw bale gardening last year but sometime during the summer the bales just got too hot,could he have maybe not watered them enough?

7. nozlnut

nozlnut Guest

Thanks Kent, I will be finishing up my trellis this week. I am going with your method with the 4'x4'x10' at 13 feet apart with wire fencing. I found some straw bales around $4 a bale from a buddy who does landscaping.

8. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Annette: once the bales go through the heat of the initial decomposition process they don't re-heat from that. Biggest problem most folks have is NOT keeping the bales moist and the bales dry out.

nozlnut: good deal. Looking forward to seeing those tomatoes hanging off that trellis!

9. AnnetteL

Thanks Kent!

10. nozlnut

nozlnut Guest

I hit the jackpot today and found strawbales for $2. With my job I am fortunate to be exposed to many people and I just got lucky to find someone who had connections. Anyway, I got my bales layed out today. I originally started with 15 but I stepped out for 30 minutes and my 1 year old lab tore one bale apart. So I am going to make due with 14. Its my first bale garden and I am starting small. I will post pictures of my progress after I figure out how to post them.

11. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

nozlnut: excellent deal.

Try www.photobucket.com for storing and posting pics.

I've been using them for a long time.

Easy to use.

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Great deal... can you share where you bought them from?

13. The_Investigator

The_Investigator Well-Known Member

14. nozlnut

nozlnut Guest

HidesinOBX - It was from a farmer down here in York County SC. He doesn't bale much anymore and he doesn't sell to the public. I just happen to know a friend of his who gets an occasional few bales here and there.

Kent - Do you soak your bales for a count of 15 or do you drown them? And is it better to water in the AM or PM right now?

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

10-15 seconds straight out of the hose should be just fine. That'll be about 2 gallons. No need to waste the water since it won't do any good anyway.

I always like to water at the end of the day so evaporation won't be as bad.

It gives the ground more time to soak up any run-off b4 I get in the garden the following day.

16. nozlnut

nozlnut Guest

Thanks Kent!

17. beebsy

beebsy Well-Known Member

Wheat sprouting

Hey Kent,

Thanks for all of this awesome info!! Hubby and I were talking about trying this, and reading thru your info, I saw where you said usually wheat, rye, or oats will start to sprout out of the bales...this will be a weird question, but my daughter has Celiac Disease, which means she cannot have any wheat, rye, or barley...it damages her small intestines...I wonder if growing the veggies in a bale that may have wheat or rye in it would bother her (if the veggies would get any type of cross-contamination???) What do you think??

Thanks for your time!! :)

18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

beebsy: that is an excellent question that I cannot answer.

Better ask an agronomist or someone in the medical field.

NC State Crop Science Dept: http://www.cropsci.ncsu.edu/

19. nozlnut

nozlnut Guest

[​IMG]

Almost done! I am putting a finely hammered mulch around the bales to try and suppress the weeds plus it looks nicer than just the old dirt garden underneath. Then I just need to attach the wire fencing to complete my trellis and I'm ready. Can't wait!!!

20. AnnetteL

We bought our bales yesterday and I started to water them,so if all goes well I should be ready to start planting within 3-4 weeks I guess!?