Strawbale Gardening - no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Strawbaleman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Well, I took your advice Kent, and I've recycled straw. My tomatoes and eggplant are planted there as of today! The other bales are just starting to sprout so by the time my seedlings are ready to transplant, they should be cooking. I'm very excited about this although I'm not planting as many cukes as last year...I felt like I spent the entire month of July and most of August making pickles (over 60 quarts!). Of course, since we're down to 8 jars left, my kids want me to make just as many this year! (SIGH!)

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I started my cucumbers from seeds in those little decomposable pots and when I planted them in the bales the pots had roots coming out the bottom.

3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

ACF: my bride made a lot of pickles last year, too. We love'em and so does the Admin Staff at the office!

Speaking of recycled straw, I'm thinking about getting some more bales, line them on the inside of my deer fence, and just let them decompose along with the other bales.

That way I'll be way ahead of the game for next year.

LOL! Already thinking about next year!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Annette: if the cukes don't perk up, give'em a shot of MG mixture, about 1/2 strength.

4. AnnetteL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just wanted to post a picture of the tomatoes,got one tomato hanging on it.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  5. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

Did you buy them big? Those look really tall already.

6. AnnetteL

Not really,they were in those 3" or 4" pots,but I kind of babied them along for a couple of weeks and would water them occasionally with MG before planting them into the bales.

7. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

Finally getting somewhere here. I just wish these mushrooms would stop already. I only put two tomatoes in bales but one of them had something wrong with it so I pulled it out. I have my others in my usual raised bed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

What are the pros and cons with pulling the suckers off of the tomato plants. I have always done it, but wondering if there is a difference in the yield if I don't do this. Anyone know?

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

10. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Thank you Kent, I appreciate it. I think I'll stop suckering them.

11. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

I pulled them off of mine last year as was recommended to me. I was told to only leave the lowest one. However, I believe it hurt mine. Without the extra leaves the sun really does a number on the plants. I will not sucker mine anymore.

Hot today.........everything except eggplant wilted. :x

12. AnnetteL

Took those this morning...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

Wow, lots of grass on your bales. I don't have that much but instead have hordes of mushrooms.

14. AnnetteL

I wonder if that much grass is a bad thing and if it might take too many nutrients away from my vegetables?

15. janner99362

janner99362 New Member

Whad'ya think........

Because patience has always been a 'trial' for me..:roll:.and my Grampa always said gardening was the best 'teacher' of it.....I'm trying...BUT I have these bales that are consistently mid/lower 80s, my night temps are in the 40s, and I have wall-o-waters....(do you see where I'm goin'?) (should also add the bales I'm 'eyeballin' have been out for 21 days and 'sprouting' grass, no mushrooms yet)

I'm thinkin' that the 'walls' would hold in the heat to make the space inside a much 'warmer' overnight temp....(at least that's what I'm tryin' to convince myself of.) Am I just 'deluding' myself (been known to do that ;) ) or d'ya think it might be 'do-able'?

16. RickNC

RickNC Active Member

Trade ya the grass for the mushrooms. The mushrooms are a mess. They turn everything that touches them black and they stink.

17. AnnetteL

Oh...in that case I'll let you keep them,sorry ;)

18. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

IMHO I'd do away with the walls of water. Continue to just keep the bales moist and transplant when the night temps are consistently above 50.

19. janner99362

janner99362 New Member

Somehow I knew that would be the answer...............sigh..............(deep cleansing breath, patience.........I know, I know) Frankly, I haven't used them in a few yrs..............Just thought.........Oh, well..............:banghead:

20. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

My garden is going well-- thanks!! I am having a blast with my garden, it is my Zen location!

BUT-- my yellow squash are growing, getting to be about 3 inches and then rotting. Why? What am I doing wrong? Too much water?