Strawbale Gardening - no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Strawbaleman, Apr 18, 2007.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Mine is a raised bed.
    16' x 24' and I ran out of room last year!!
    SO... my neighbor brought his tractor over and tilled up a spot down the path next to the driveway which is 80' x 20'

So far I've got 2 types of potatoes planted, 4 types of onions and garlic. Cant wait to get some seeds in the ground this weekend!!!

<they call me farmer Sandy> :lol:

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

2015 Gardening season will be here soon!

For those starting a Straw Bale Garden this year, it's not too early to get your bales.

You can store them under a shelter or just put a tarp or some plastic over the top until you are ready to place them in your garden area.

A good target date to have the bales PREPARED to receive veggie plants is around May 1st FORWARD.

Even though it may get warm in April there is always a chance a late cold spell can come in and damage any plants.

Besides, plants such as tomatoes and peppers like consistent warm days AND nights where the lowest temps are in the mid 50's and ABOVE.

You won't lose any growing time on your neighbors who plant early if you'll just be patient.

- - - - - - - - - - -

REMINDER: ALL YOU NEED TO DO to prepare your straw bales is water them down for 2 days and just keep them MOIST (NOT SOAKING) from THEN ON!!!

However, you CANNOT depend on just rain to do the job.

You don't need ANY high-nitrogen additives. Nature will prepare the bales just fine.

Also, I recommend putting your bales out at LEAST by April 1st.

I'm putting my bales out by March 1st to be ready for a May 1st planting.

The longer the bales have to soften up the better they are to work with, especially when it comes to transplanting your veggie plants into the bales.

3. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Now that we no longer have a van or a truck, I need some help getting my bales. Is there anyone who would be willing to meet me at Lowes one day and transport 12 bales to my house near DR Wells? Lowes no longer rents a truck out, and I hate to get a Uhaul or pay the $79 delivery fee from Lowes. I'd be more than happy to pay $20 for your time and gas.

4. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I found a Guy in Dunn that sells Wheat straw for $2 a bale... he will deliver for an additional $1 a bale.

5. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Will he deliver all the way near Cleveland High/Polenta area?

6. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

He is running low already but he does still have some left... text/call him at 910-263-5187 He will have more soon, but not sure how late that would be for a garden.

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A new garden season will be upon us soon. Time to start thinking about your garden plans. If you want to try Straw Bale Gardening, then get your bales out in March. The bales will be easier to work with when transplanting your veggies.

Romeo likes this.
  8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Kent. what was the name of them little cucumber / watermelon things?

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

They are cucamelons and are actually a variety of cucumber.

Nickname is "mouse melon" because it looks like a baby watermelon.

They are fun to grow and great to eat.

Grow them on a trellis or in a hanging basket.

I will have some hanging baskets or plants for sale later on if anyone is interested. I sold a bunch last year.

Here is the actual commercial about them that got me interested several years ago.

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

11. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Rockyv58 likes this.
  13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Just bumping this thread so I can find it easier and to say that it's not TOO EARLY to start thinking about this year's gardening season! If you like fresh veggies and want to try some gardening without the drudgery of weeding, hoeing, and tilling, this method may be for you. It's also a way to get the kids involved!

WOW! I just looked at the date I started this thread! It's been almost 10 years ago!! The days are long but the years are short!!

Hught likes this.
  14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Looking for a Jujube Li tree. It tastes like a small apple with three times the amount of vitamin C. No pest problems to deal with either. Any local growers around? Sure would like to get one from somebody around here, rather than order it online.

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

16. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

hey kent, I got straw, I even got some that ain't great.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.