Strawberry Festival Should Be Moved!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by RitzGirl, Apr 29, 2006.

?

Should the Festival be moved?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RitzGirl

RitzGirl Guest

It was like a ZOO up there today. Had a hair appointment and could not even get into there parking lot because of everyone parking there and going to the festival. Also saw two bump ups of people trying to get out of FL's parking lot. Why not hold it at the old Cleveland School like the 4 of July events or on the road that Burger King not many people travel that road.

2. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

I agree 100%! You must have been going to my sisters salon. Her parking lot was took over. My hubby sat up out there to sell some of strawberries and did not think he could get into the parking lot. :shock: And I seen a little old lady bump into someone turning out of Food Lion towards 42. I felt so sorry for her. She probably is not used to all that traffic!!!

3. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

From what I saw, there wouldn't be enough parking at the Cleveland School or on the BK road. If the businesses in Cary can handle the Lazy Days crowd for a day, I'm sure we can, too. I visited more stores today in that area than I normally do. I was glad to see it expand up the little side street.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Find an open field to have the festival on. It is not fair to the businesses and to the patrons to not be able to do business on a busy Saturday when most of us shop. I went up to McGees to shop instead. Would not go near the 40/42 yesterday. :twisted:

5. Aglassnut

Aglassnut Well-Known Member

It seems that the festival is growing every year and I think it's going to have to move eventually.

6. toadallyfruity

toadallyfruity Well-Known Member

This is the BEST location they have had for the Festival. Location was horrible in its early years. Knowing it will be VERY crowded that ONE Saturday, you have 51 others to schedule your hair appointment.

Parking is a problem they need to look at as the festival continues to grow. Maybe once the Super WalMart shopping center comes, the festival will be so large they can close of hwy 42 and hold it there :lol:

I think it is funny you think it is okay to take up parking for the businesses on the other side of 42 but just not where you want to go. :lol:

7. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Where was the festival located?

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

On Technology drive. We were up there for several hours, it was not THAT bad.

9. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

The only problem we encountered was trying to turn onto Tech. Drive from 42. That light doesn't have a green arrow, so it was getting backed up there, and allot of people were turning into that gas station and cutting through there, but even that was a bit of a mess. As far as parking though, we had no problem.

10. 1_more_PitBull

I have just one thing to say,

I can speak for my sister about her parking lot, it might not be some of you but there are people who use her parking lot just to run in Food Loin any week not just for the Festival. They park in her lot and leave the carts there for her to push back to the store. And when we go and tell them to move they would get all mad or just act like they did not hear us. :twisted: But it is not the fact they took her lot but good lord they took over FL's lot too. I think a field is the best idea, I mean look where they hold the Beach Music Festival in the middle of no where, in an open field. In addition, parking at the Old Cleveland School should not be a problem beens the 4th's Festival is held there and everyone seems to find parking then so why could they not find it now. :?

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We personally did not park in any business's parking lot, we parked along the service road and hoofed it back and forth to the Strawberry Festival. The people who had rude behavoir Saturday regarding parking and shopping carts are undoubtedly the same ones who do it every other day of the week and at lots of other places too.

People who don't put their shopping carts up are a personal pet peeve of mine and I've told more than one excactly where they can put that shopping cart! :evil:

12. 1_more_PitBull

I know what your talking about with the carts. But I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. Just wanted to get the word out there.

13. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

I parked in the First Citizens lot without any problem. Went to FL before I came home. Pulled into Gandolfo's lot and then back out onto 42 with no more difficulty than when I try to get through the area in 5 o'clock traffic.

If it's a Old Cleveland School, it is more difficult to get in and out of, plus few food options for those of us that don't want to buy the expensive fare at the festival.

What would be real cool is to shut down 42 from McDonalds to CVS. Reroute all traffic by Burger King or around by the banks.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The food was my only complaint about the festival. I apparently picked the absolute worst time to get some hot dogs because we just wanted something quick and easy to eat, waited in line for 1/2 hour and I was only 3 people back from the order taker! We got some chocolate dipped strawberries and they were outstanding though, so all was not lost. Next year we will eat before we go just in case. :lol:

15. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Yes, it was inded like a "Zoo" - cause I was there :wink:

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Old Cleveland School is good for a location if coordinated with the GCAA. The Soccer Tournament was yesterday, and baseball practices were being held.

17. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Mordor~

You have some good ideas. Let the Chamber know. They are always looking for input as to how to better the event for the community (those participating and those not). The President is Lance Wheeler at MediCap Pharmacy. Give him a call or drop by with your suggestions.

As it was said before, this has been the best location to date. The exposure is there off of 40/42, and the road is blocked off (safety for all). The parking is, was, and always will be, an issue. Maybe more police to help direct would help. Before, fields have been offered and used, but they are being sold off now or the owners are not offering anymore.

Pit, I feel for the salon. A lot of businesses ran interference for their parking lots and the patrons were happily surprised to find spaces available. This may be an option for her. Another option would be to be a part of the festival. Why not have a heavily advertised open house that day for "fair do's" or something? Just a suggestion.

My DH said there weren't as many people there this year as last. The festival seemed to be not as spread out as last year. He and the little one were there the vast majority of the day. We spent the same amount in tickets as we did last year (I have a set limit), but she seemed to "ride" less this year. (Less 'bang' for her ticket?) She did love being able to grab $$ and tickets in the "wind booth" . I missed the Pie Toss, a favorite of mine last year. I also would liked to have seen more crafters there. That's always the fun part for me. Don't know why they weren't there. Maybe they were in other festivals that day?

Again, voice your opinions and let them know!

Frogger

18. Mark W.

Mark W. Active Member

toadallyfruity

What Super Wal-Mart are you talking about? I thought they built the Super Wal-Mart in Clayton?

19. 1_more_PitBull

Last year they put up a sign about the parking lot. She just didn't do it this year because she thought people would see the OPEN sign and not park there. She even let Salon42 use her lot their clients had somewhere to park and go get there hair done.

And about the 51 other Saturdays to get your hair done, Most people make their hair appointments 4 weeks ahead. When you get your hair cut you make your next appointment right then. But anyway I talked to my sister lastnight and next year she said she would do something about it. She said she was going to put me on parking lot watch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

^^^Pit on the parking lot...watch out :shock: :lol: :lol: .