Summer Reading

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

When you loan a paperback (or even a hard cover) book to a friend, you don't still keep it in your bookcase.

What you're suggesting is closer to photocopying a book and "loaning" it to your friend.

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

See, now I also didn't know this was an option. I am relatively new to the "e-book" world. So you're saying I can sign into my amazon account, and virutally lend my purchase to another amazon user? That's pretty cool if that's the case...

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

You can do the same thing on the Nook.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

In my post, i did forgot to add that "lending" is not always an option and is up to the publisher. But yes, books that are allowed to be lent by the publisher will come up in the "actions" drop down menu when you go to "manage your kindle" page on Amazons website. The "product detail" on every book will also show if its lending is enabled.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

example of a product detail with lending enabled

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Crocus...&qid=1340815296&sr=1-1&keywords=yellow+crocus

If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, there is another whole lending library available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200527380_ownerslib?nodeId=200757120

There is also a website called "Lendle", that you can lend and borrow kindle books on. For anyone who hasn't read The Hunger Games books yet, they appear to be lendable and are on the Lendle website.

After all this however, 50 Shades trilogy is not lendable by the publishers request. Sorry :x

But all this is still good to know for those looking to legally lend and borrow e-books.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  5. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I have been reading "The Kitchen House" by Kathleen Grissom this week. It's an awesome book. If you like "The Help" you will definitely like this book. It's another one of those I can hardly put down.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Look at "Yellow Crocus" by Laila Ibrahim, that was a really good book and similar to those above.

Also good was "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay, it's historical fiction and also has been made into a movie.

7. Allioop

Awesome! I'll read those next. :)

8. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Yes. Thank you. We keep quite a few of those books in Cleveland's library.

With nearly 200,000 books on property, we are busy filling Cleveland's needs. More volunteers would let us do even more for you. We have been unable to keep up with the labeling and shelving of 1,100 new books arriving weekly.

Cleveland's library has 22,000 general fiction books shelved, plus 6,500 mysteries, 13,000 romance, 6,000 science fiction, inspirational and western. Our summer waiting list has been Hunger Games, Shades of Grey, and some Pattersons.

We are open 7 days a week and selling duplicates in order to give you diversity - more titles/selection.

9. Allioop

I finished "The Kitchen House." It was one of those books that you won't let you put it down. Someone just loaned me "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. I'm going to start on this week. It's told from a dog's point of view!

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

One friend absolutely raves about "The Art of Racing in the Rain" .. another friend has had trouble getting in to it, said it took her two weeks to read the first few pages. Let us know how you like it - I'd love to hear more opinions!

11. Allioop

My mom suggested it to me. I usually I love whatever books she recommends. She said was great. I'll let yall know! I plan to start on it this week.

12. lightningmcqueen

lightningmcqueen Well-Known Member

If you liked the 50 Shades trilogy your next read should be "Bared to You" by Sylvia Day.