Sushi Iwa Clayton?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cranky, May 2, 2018.

1. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the new sushi place in Clayton next to La Cocina? Seems like it's getting some good reviews but I wasn't impressed with Bonsai's is it under different ownership?

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Being a Thai food junkie I wasted no time after seeing this and our family went last night. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tasty food, great service and the place looks quite nice. I had the drunken noodle with chicken and, while not the best I've had, it was very good. My other half got garlic/broccoli with beef and we both agreed it was outstanding. The spring rolls were crispy with great flavor and the Tom Kha soup was outstanding. Our little one ate almost her weight, downing some good edamame, and very tasty fried rice and chicken lo mein. Their tea was on point as well.

We will definitely return, probably quite soon for me. :)

PS - Didn't ask about ownership but our waitress mentioned that she has been there a while from when it was Bonsai's.

Auxie likes this.
  3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I was under the impression it was new ownership. They have a second location in Apex also. The Yelp reviews are great so far. DH and I need to get down there and try it! https://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-iwa-clayton-clayton-2

4. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

We went and had a good meal, 5 people for around $80. (if you like sushi you know you can spend that much on yourself in some places.) The sushi was fine considering I only had to go to Clayton for it. Others had sesame chicken and chicken tempura that were very good. Overall I was pretty impressed, the restaurant was clean and the wait staff was quick and got our big order 100% correct. It was good but not the best I have ever had, the same as all the other local restaurants... I will eat there again.

Auxie likes this.
  5. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

Went here Sunday about 6/7pm. Had to wait for them to clean a table off. Staff looked to be short handed. Waiter forgot to bring my child her soup & salad that came with her meal. Owner or front desk lady ended up refilling our tea. If you like raw sushi then you should be fine. As for cooked stuff, there isn't much of a choice. Wasn't a fan of the sesame seeds on the rolls. I did like the fact of the photos on the back of the menu. Don't think I will be back though, just because raw sushi isn't my thing.

6. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

We were not impressed. Not sushi fans. There are much better Chinese restaurants in Raleigh that are worth the drive. I do not believe it will miss us as several of our friends love their sushi. I hope it does well in Clayton.

Auxie likes this.