Television Repair

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Feb 16, 2016.

1. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, need some advice or references on where to take a TV in for repair.

I have a 4 year old 42" LG TV that won't turn on .. haven't taken the back off yet to see if it's blown capacitors or what, but have tried various outlets. The red LED light indicates that it is getting power, it blinks three times then stays off. Have tried both with the remote, and using the tv power button. Have tried unplugging it over night and then plugging it back in. I've tried holding down the power button for 8-10 seconds ... it still does its three red light blinks and the picture stays off. No sounds, clicks, whirs, flashes or anything from the screen.

That's about all of the troubleshooting I can come up with. Does anyone have any suggestions on local places to repair TVs? If it's a blown capacitor, have been tempted to buy a kit and try to replace it myself but have never soldered anything in my life .. not sure I want to start with the TV power board.

Thanks ahead of time!

Carol

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you have an owners manual see if there is a reset function. Although not yet with a TV but I have had issues with a number of electronic devices (watches, ipods, Surface Pro Tablets, etcetera) that once you reset them (often requiring multiple buttons to be held down at one time) will reset itself and be as good as new.

3. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Are you hooked up using an HDMI cable? If so, your cable may be shot. Had this same problem recently and once I changed out the cable, everything was fine.

To reset it make sure it is turned off and unplug the tv. Hold the on/off button on the actual tv for 30 seconds. You may not have held it long enough the first time. Good luck

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I've found where I can download the manual online, I'll see if they mention how to do a 'reset'.

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I hadn't tried swapping out the HDMI cable yet, I do have at least one hooked up. I'll try to swap out all the cables, maybe there's a wonky connection or something... thanks for the suggestion!

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

7. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

A capacitor can hold a charge! Be very careful near one. It's best to discharge it before doing anything to it.

If you've never soldered before, this is not the time to start. Take a class and learn how to solder correctly. Soldering must be done correctly or you can cause shorts, interment connections, burnt insulation or start a fire.
    Are you using a soldering iron or gun? Most electronics require a soldering iron. How many watts is the iron rated at? What type of solder are you using? Do you have proper lighting? There are many things to know before starting to solder.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  8. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Most contemporary electronics use leadless components, micro board traces, and multi-level boards. Even a solder pencil is too "brutal" for such components and they have to be soldered with specialized equipment or robots. They were never designed to be field-serviceable and are considered disposable when they fail. Good luck trying to repair one of these.

poppin cork and cynadon like this.
  9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

What ever happen to the days of 'fix it' shops. Where guys would fix TV's, VCR's, kitchen appliances and such. Where is Emmett when we need him. Emmett was the guy on the Andy Griffith show before they had Floyd the barber.

There use to be a place behind Smithfields called the Analog store. I use to go in there and chat with the guy. I was going to have my old Yamaha fixed by him. When he was closing he told me he was moving up to Raleigh. I just went to google him for you. But it looks like he may of moved to 4 oaks. The logo is the same. You can check with him

http://www.theanalogstore.com/

10. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Stuff got more complex and cheaper. Since it became more costly to repair, and cheaper to replace, it's not worth it to repair as much.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the waste generated is terrible. Typically this waste is then sent to 3rd world countries, with poor EHS controls, and salvaged for any metals they can extract.

12. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Usually makes you feel good when your using/watching an item that YOU repaired. At least for me.
    I'm retired (home with nothing much to do except spending time on the computer) so I enjoy repairing the few items that I can. Having the item repaired professionally is usually more costly than replacement (depending on the item).
    Of course you have to know what your doing in the first place, not just guessing as to what caused the problem or what part needs to be replaced.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Rockyv58 likes this.
  13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

It has certainly become a throwaway society. Everything is so disposable and it creates huge waste. My dad fixed everything until it was rendered absolutely 'dead died and gone' (his words, ). My husband fixes everything as well, but his dad also did the same.

That said, I have my Itty bitty cell phone that I have to replace because to repair the screen and digitizer, it costs close to what I paid for it. What do I do with it? It's a Republic Moto G phone that I bought outright.

14. elims

elims Well-Known Member

15. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

A new TV possibly will have more features and cost less that your older, malfunctioning, TV.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Rhymes_with_Orange/

P.S. Not casting aspersion, after all my wife is a Pagan, just saw a funny response to your old post!

Sherry A. likes this.