Thread for new Clayton restaurants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bostonredhead, Jan 11, 2017.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

4 of us had lunch at Yi Ge today. They advised Yi Ge means "Number One". 3 of us had the hot bar. Choice of 2 entrees, 1 side and soup. $8.95 each. Portions were huge. Next time we agreed we will get the 1 entree, 1 side and soup choice. I believe it is $7.95. Food is served by employees. Not a buffet. One plate. No refills. All the food was good. Only problem was the temperature of food was only luke warm. Not hot. Other person in our party ordered Lo Mein off menu. Temperature of food was hot and it was good. The had a salad bar. That is extra. We all agreed we will return. A nice addition for Clayton dining.

Auxie likes this.
  2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

As a side note with the opening of Yi Ge Kobe has stopped selling chinese food.

3. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Tried the Yi Ge place tonight for takeout.....I've had better Chinese food from the freezer section of Walmart. The noodle bar part wasn't up either, I am not sure if it was permanent of just temporary or what. For $42 without drinks for 3 meals, it should have been halfway decent. All three of us ended up throwing it out and eating leftovers from last night. 3 different dishes and egg rolls that tasted spoiled. I won't be back and dollars to donuts they won't last long either. <sigh> Why can't we have a good Chinese restaurant?

4. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. We have had lunch twice. Both times lunch at about noon. All of us had the hot bar. Food was good, not great. Price was good. We will return as it is best in Clayton.

5. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

That's the disappointing thing. It's the "best" in Clayton. It was pretty awful. I wanted to like it. :(

Auxie likes this.
  6. gcoats3

Peking Garden in Raleigh is worth the drive. Owner Cody is retiring and has a partner that will take over. So far, no changes.

7. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

We walked in there the other night to try it out but walked right back out after seeing the sanitation grade...

Auxie likes this.
  8. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Four critical violations on their first inspection - 94.5 score. Not off to a good start.

9. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Not Clayton but 40/42....

City BBQ is going in next to Highway 55

Auxie and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  10. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

We love City BBQ. Are they building a new building or is there already space? We can probably get to White Oak about as quick as we can 40/42 with that traffic. But happy they are opening at 40/42.
    On another note we forget about HWY 55 when making dinner/lunch choices. Current location seems hidden from our usual travels.

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

HWY 55 probably needs to stay hidden.

poppin cork likes this.
  12. Boston Redhead

Boston Redhead Active Member

It's a new building. If you are facing hwy 55, it'll be on your left.

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

La Cosina Mexican in Clayton is on the move.....building a new facility on Shotwell Road.

AND.....new options on Main St in the planning stages.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Anyone know the story behind Long Island Express Deli? We used to go for lunch almost every week, then one day it's just closed and some Mango place is there now.

15. gcoats3

It was owned by Venero's. I heard they just decided to operate out of one location. Do not know how reliable. A new deli "Philly's" is opening on US 70 West of Hwy 42 in same strip mall as Skylines. May already be open.

16. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I was told the place on 70 opened last week.

The "business" (fixtures, equipment) was sold and new owner changed concept. I haven't been, b ut heard it was pretty good.
    If you frequented Long Island Deli prior to February 2016, then you had the pleasure of being served by Craig and Bernice Marrone who ran the Deli for Venero's for 5 years or so. I am happy to say (for those that don't know it already that Craig and Bernice have been at Tavern 42 (119 Oleander Dr. in Parkway Plaza at Flowers Plantation) since about this time last year. Same great food and great beverage selection . Please don't say "way out there"....it's only a couple of miles, just past
    the Neuse River bridge and well worth the short drive!!!

tassy and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  17. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Tavern 42 is pretty good, we enjoy it for lunch every now and then.

dgsatman likes this.
  18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Definitely worth the short drive! (Get the Calzone!!)

dgsatman likes this.
  19. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

From speaking with my former manager, who is now the regional manager for City BBQ, this new building is NOT the same City BBQ as in white oak.

Too close together for sales. Also, he told me that someone tried using the same name, and so they had a lawsuit since City BBQ has been in business for well over ten years.

So while it may become a BBQ joint, it shouldn't be the same as you see in white oak.

20. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

County BBQ.