Time Flies - 19 years ago today

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

So on April 11, 2000 this online journey began when the doors opened on 4042dotcom (later becoming JohnstonCounty.Today in 2015).

Here's a link below to the Internet Archive where you can get a look at the past. Thanks for everyone that has joined us over the years - we appreciate it!

https://web.archive.org/web/20001006213316/http://www.4042.com/

(Hint: On the archive page, you can click on the timeline across the top to see various years in the past.)

Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

BobF, Sherry A., Auxie and 1 other person like this.
  4. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

How is that even possible? ;)

Sherry A., Auxie, Webmaster and 2 others like this.
  5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I still follow a sports forum that still uses that format.

Webmaster likes this.
  6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I have truly enjoyed it here and appreciate all who have made this possible

Webmaster, Auxie, BobF and 2 others like this.
  7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Is Chicken Little still around? I am trying to remember what nick I had used way back when. I know I have changed it several times till I settled on my current nick with best represents me

Webmaster likes this.
  8. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

He went away a long time ago, but with threads like this...

BobF is so full of crap........ - Chicken Little 08/01/01 (2)​

...I doubt that we're missing very much.

Still, it was fun while it lasted. ;)

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I had emailed webbie I wanted to see if I could find some of my old nicks from way back when. but nope :(

10. Stinger2019

Stinger2019 Well-Known Member

Good times, good times. Question for Webbie: is there a reason I can see all of the forums except the Poly Pit? Is that by special invite only?

11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The Political Pit
    Have an opinion about the way our elected officials handle things on the local, state or federal level? Here's your chance to be heard! Your soapbox is waiting. - PLEASE NOTE: Unmoderated political discussion in this forum. You are on your own!! Join & participate at your own risk. - To participate in the Political Pit, you must first be a registered user. Then, send a private message to Webmaster, asking for access. You will then be added to the Political Pit group and have permissions to view and post messages.

Sherry A. likes this.
  12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Stinger from 19 years ago?

Dude, did you grow any hair for your avitar since back then? :D

Sherry A. likes this.
  13. Stinger2019

Funny you should mention "hair". It's been a long, strange transformation...

[​IMG]

Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Around that time, within a year or so I was at Busch Gardens Williamsburg and spotted someone wearing a 4042.com tee shirt. I was familiar with the new, local site and a little excited so far from home, so I went over and asked him about it to see if he owned it or something. The result was a little anti-climatic as he answered "No, someone just gave me the shirt. I dont even know what it is".

15. Stinger2019

Thank you...

Sherry A. likes this.
  16. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

;)

Sherry A. likes this.
  17. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Why DID you give up 4042.com, anyway? With Interstate 42 being designated nearby (and thus having TWO 40/42 intersections), I'd think it would be a pretty valuable domain around here. Did that Chinese company that took it over give you some big bucks?

Rockyv58 likes this.
  18. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Mmmm,,, lol

19. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

When the site began, we chose the 4042.com domain name because it was centrally located in the county and everyone knew it by that name. The right name at the right time. However - the name, over time, pigeonholed the site. Even though, from day one, we covered ALL of Johnston County for news and information, the domain name gave the idea that we were focused only on that small geographical area. Thus, the decision to transition the site to a domain name that was inclusive of the whole county was made and...here we are! A rose by any other name. :cool:

Auxie and Sherry A. like this.
  20. panthersdude2001

panthersdude2001 Well-Known Member

Ok, I wasn't around, but the date of the archive was set to today, 19 years ago. That's weird. Is that Hampton inn still there?