Today's Wow did I just see that?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Because it was a brain fart on may part...Hat BAND border ....

DWK likes this.
  2. Wayne Stollings

The hat band, steam shower, stained glass ...and the bottom of the chandelier I had to add

bathroom tile.jpg

Sherry A. and DWK like this.
  3. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just tracked down some new oiled bronze doorknobs for our place, but maybe my sister can use them. I’ll ask her about it.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Wayne Stollings likes this.
  4. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

A rustic cabin is so nice. My sister and I have always dreamed of fixing up our family’s ancestral cabin in the mountains, and maybe moving it to a different location, but after our uncle died, who used to take care of it, my cousins, have let it fall to ruin, and these days it looks more like our proud, ancestral wood pile more than anything else! Funny thing is, there are old cabins not too far away from it, that folks have fixed up and are renting out on Airbnb.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Sherry A. likes this.
  5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Uh, oh. I just realized that this is Hught’s “Wow, Did I Just See That?” thread that we’ve been clogging up talking about houses and stuff all day! Sorry, Hught.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Not my thread, all of Johnston Counties non-political "Wow, Did I Just See That?" thread!

Wayne Stollings and DWK like this.
  7. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

We had the flying car prototype a long time ago!

8EA71D0E-18FC-4761-89D5-86EA682DEF1C.jpeg

10. Wayne Stollings

11. Wayne Stollings

Well, I get to do it all over again. We close on the new property in three weeks and although they have oiled bronze door knobs they are not the crystal jobs, nor did they change the hinges to match. The only upside is that I now have more acreage with which to play, we "downsized" by one master suite and upsized the deck and garage footage. I have to figure out how to screen in at least some of the deck because that is one feature she must have. At least I have time to do some painting and replace some flooring in the new place before we start moving our stuff from the current house. I learned a long time ago that rushing a move was a good way to drive yourself insane, so we get things ready move the valuables ourselves and then have the movers do the heavy stuff. She has a bed created by an artist out of redwood logs that I refuse to even try to move any more. The artist threw out his back when he delivered it and I took that as a sign. Once everything we can do a deep cleaning, deal with any touch ups from the move, maybe stage it or just take pictures of it before the final move and put it on the market.

12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Congratulations! More doorknob installation? Lol. BTW, my sister is going with those old white ceramic doorknobs, whenever she can get back in the world some day. It will be nice to have more land, though, especially if you’re not in a subdivision with an HOA. I once joked with one of our HOA board members, telling him that I was gonna paint my shed purple, and I guess he didn’t get the joke, because he turned white as a sheet over just the thought of a purple shed in the neighborhood! Lol. So, are you folks going to VA? It’s so pretty there! My husband wants to check out Texas, but all that dry dust blowing around, and those category 4 and 5 hurricanes coming up from the gulf have me thinking “ummmm.....maybe not”! I think it’s more likely that we’ll get a little RV and travel the country for a year before we make any decision. I agree - take your time in moving! No sense hurting yourself, especially right before starting to work on a new house. A few years ago, I helped my other sister move into a 3 story house, and everything had to be brought over by ferry. She had this dream of living on a small island, but ice storms, frequent power outages and food shortages, put an end to that dream pretty quick! Lol. Best of luck in getting your current house ready to sell. That’s a job in itself!

13. Wayne Stollings

No, staying here in NC. I sold the farm I bought in VA when my older son wanted to buy his acreage and build his house. He was going to have a tree farm on the old land and that went away when he bought a house. Children do not get any cheaper as they get older. We will be closer to the older son and about the same distance from the younger son. We will be slightly closer to all of the other members of the family. My wife is a little freaked by how much we have tied up in private real estate right now. I still have to keep money in a savings account to keep her happy about funds. For some reason a money market fund is just not the same for her comfort.

We had some friends who lived on an island in the Caribbean for a few years. Since things were so expensive to transport, the house was purchased with the furnishings and sold the same way. They had this recliner that he really loved until he got the quote to ship it to the island from the US. They had two chickens which they never knew if they came with the house or were just there until the day they moved back to the US.

14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

“Children do not get any cheaper as they get older”.

We had such a good laugh over that one! Ain’t that the truth! Yeah, it can be a little unnerving to have two homes going at once, but our real estate market here in NC is still going strong. We might take a little dip here and there, but it’s nothing like some people who moved here from other states with stagnant markets and couldn’t sell their old homes for over a year. My husband worked with a few people like that, during the last recession, and they were sweating bullets for months over it. Whenever I think of a “much-loved recliner”, I always think of that Frazier show where Frazier had that ridiculous, modern, perfect city apartment, where nothing was ever out of place, and then his Dad moves in with his comfy, falling apart, duct-taped recliner, placed front and center to spoil the whole effect! Lol.

15. Wayne Stollings

When we first moved here we owned a house in WV so I rented an apartment for 6 months so we could figure out where we wanted to live. Half way through that period I fell into a great deal on a house via a real estate guy I knew, so for a couple of months we owned two houses and an apartment although the houses were not nearly as expensive as these last two are.

My mother-in-law had a ratty old recliner she loved but it was literally falling apart. When we bought a new couch and love seat for the family room I bought a new recliner for her as well. She did not use it for months, but the old recliner broke in half on her and she had to use it. Now she will not give it up. If she had been willing to move we would have three houses because we had been looking at a house with a separate in-law cabin. It was only about 1200 sq feet but it would have been perfect for her if she would have moved. I barely survived that discussion as I had threatened for me to live in the cabin and let my mother-in-law and wife stay in the main house if she moved here. I thought it was a good idea since there were two master suites in the main house and the cabin was the perfect man cave.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Can’t get that visual out of my head of your mother-in-law getting swallowed up by that ratty recliner! LOL

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Hught likes this.
  19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

20. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member