Trying to help my daughter out

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Feb 11, 2021.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Hey y'all I don't know many medical professionals in the area so I figured I would ask y'all. My daughter who's about to turn 19 wants to get into the nutritionist field. She is in college and is looking for a job where she can work part-time so she can still attend school but gain some experience in this field. It doesn't have to be nutrition specific but something where the experience would correlate on a good resume. Anybody have any ideas or leads?

Thanks in advance.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/...XO6tfJPRkZrkA==&trk=flagship3_search_srp_jobs

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/...nq5hcTaLOwW2A==&trk=flagship3_search_srp_jobs

I think they might be the same job. But here's the highlights.
    • We are now hiring for full and part-time NUTRITION OPERATOR positions.
    • Location: WakeMed Raleigh Campus- 3000 New Bern Ave, Raleigh, NC 27610. Note: online applications accepted only.
    • Schedule: All shifts available. More details upon interview.
    • Requirement: Customer service and computer experience required. Patient services experience is a plus.
    Job Summary

Summary: Responsible for securing patient meal selections and special requests and needs via telephone or face to face interactions.

Essential Duties And Responsibilities
    • Follows proper telephone etiquette and procedures with patients, visitors and healthcare professionals.
    • Offers alternatives to menu as allowed on prescribed diet in accordance with food allergies and sensitivities, cultural, ethnic and religious preferences, when patient inquires or needs additional selections.
    • Responsive to patient's needs at all times. Resolves patient concerns or complaints immediately and/or reports needed assistance to supervisor as appropriate.
    • Complies with dietary restrictions on special, modified diets to ensure optimal food preferences are met within guidelines of diet order limitations.
    • Interacts with nursing to ensure patients' diet prescriptions are accurate, and patients' food needs are met.
    • Adheres to facility confidentiality and patient's rights policy as outlined in the facility's HIPAA policies and procedures.
    • Complies with federal, state and local health and sanitation regulations and department sanitation procedures.
    • Follows HACCP guidelines when assembling and distributing food supplies to ensure quality and safety of food supply.
    • Completes all daily, weekly or monthly reports as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures on a timely basis meeting all prescribed deadlines.
    • Performs other duties as assigned.

markfnc and Hught like this.
  3. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Your daughter sounds like she’s the perfect age to apply for an internship program that would give her much-needed experience, and provide her with a decent stepping stone into that particular profession. If her current academic program doesn’t offer her any direct opportunities for an internship program, there are many opportunities online at sites such as internship.com, and others, where she can apply. While most internship programs are paid positions these days, others are not, so she might want to keep that in mind as she’s looking. Also, because your daughter is so young, she might also want to consider applying for a volunteer position at many of our local hospitals or nursing homes, or on a site like volunteermatch.org. These positions don’t pay anything, of course, but they offer excellent opportunities to build her experiences in her chosen field, and get to know more experienced working professionals. Another idea would be for her to cold-call, or email professionals currently working as nutritionists for advice. My son once did that and got an internship recommendation right on the spot. Just make sure that she has a well-written résume prepared, and that she is also ready to answer typical interview questions. That’s something that most parents can help with, and a skill that will serve them well throughout their lives. Your daughter is lucky to have such a caring and helpful Dad, and wisely chose a solid career in a growing field that is the true basis for lifelong good health. Best of luck to you both!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Hught likes this.