Turnips-collards recipe?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by redtangsoo, Nov 21, 2010.

1. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Hi, anyone have a good recipe for turnips- turnip greens or collards??

thanks

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Pretty basic....

Wash, really well
    Throw in pot with enough water to steam and season with bacon grease or country ham. I prefer ham.
    Cook till tender. Pressure cooker greatly reduces time.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Serve, some folks like to add a little vinegar.

Auxie likes this.
  3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

make sure you wash them several time or they will be gritty with sand,

DB does his in a big black frying pan w/ side meat for flavor. serve w/ vigegar of course. -db's wife

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Wash, really well
    Throw in pot with enough water to steam and season with bacon grease or country ham. I prefer ham.
    Cook till tender. Pressure cooker greatly reduces time.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Now take that stuff as far from the house as you can without trespassing on your neighbor and bury that stuff as deep underground as you can.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

YUCK! I hate collards and turnips. I've never really tasted them but I can tell you that I am not about to put anything in my mouth that smells that bad. They smell like dirty socks. :ack:

6. dgsatman

BTW- I usually cook a mixture of equal parts turnip greens, collards and kale. 8)

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I save the bone from a half ham shank/butt portion (smoked) and cook the collards in a huge pot w/ that. Yummmm!!!

8. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Don't care for turnip greens, but will definitely have to add kale next time. On a side note, has anyone tried adding papaya seed for a pepper flavor?

9. plefeavers

plefeavers New Member

And after thir done with the cleaning and ham hock and done cooking, throught a cup of wine wine or sherry innit, heat. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

10. dgsatman

I forgot... sometimes I put some mus-My Friend greens in, too. :?

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:withstupid:

12. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

You're a green freak
    :cheers:

13. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

MMMMM, love mus-My Friend greens!

When we cook collards, I wash them, then strip out the center stem piece of each leaf, tear (not cut with a knife) the leaves into smaller pieces and then cook with just enough water to steam, not boil. When they start to steam, sprinkle a little sugar on the greens and pour a bit of hot bacon grease over them. Put the lid back on and let them steam till tender in the sugar and hot bacon grease. YUMMMMM!

14. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Sounds good thanks for all the ideas, what about turnips, how do you cook them? quartered and boiled? what do you season withem?:cheers:

15. dgsatman

Just throw those nasty things out! :lol:

I think most peopke cook them along wiyh the greens, cubed up, sort of like a potato and mixed in. Theirs not a lot of taste to them really. But I just buy the greens.

16. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I grew up with fresh collards and have grown my own, but the easiest thing to do is go to the grocery store and get a can of Glory brand seasoned collards.

They are delicious.

Just warm and serve.

No fuss. No muss.

17. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

So I get the stupid part, but I'm confused on your stance on collards.

Help me out Hugh, does this mean you like collards and just happen to be in the same thread as "stupid" (me) or does it mean that you don't like them and agree with me, but I'm stupid anyway? :lol:

18. dgsatman

I thought his meaning was clear :roll:

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Virginia born and raised here, but I have never, ever eaten a collard green. They were never served by anyone in my family, but the smell alone is enough to keep me from wanting to try them..................ya'll enjoy them, it must be an acquired taste. :jester: My boss talks about frying cabbage (he's from Goldbsboro originally) and I can't wrap my head around that either. :lol:

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Not being born or raised around here, cooking leafy green vegetables was new to me.

THIS recipe is what I use, and it is delicious. You WILL go back for seconds. I use it for turnip greens/mixed greens. I will be making this on Thanksgiving.

* 2 ham hocks
    * 2 cups water
    * 2 pounds collard greens
    * 1 pound turnip greens
    * 3 cups beef broth
    * 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    * 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    * 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste

Preparation:
    In a large kettle or Dutch oven, bring ham hocks and water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.

Immerse greens in a sink full of water and wash well to remove sand and grit. Lift out, drain water, fill sink, and repeat the procedure a few times. Cut out the thickest part of stems and coarsely chop the greens.

Increase the heat under the hocks to medium-high; add about 1/3 of the greens to the pot. Cover, and cook for about 5 minutes, until wilted. Add remaining greens in two more batches, until all the greens fit into the pot.

Stir in the beef broth, vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover partially. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, about 1 hour.

Remove ham hocks and cut meat from bones. Dice and add back to the greens. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a serving bowl. If desired, pass the juices (also known as pot liquor) for dipping cornbread.
    Serves 6.

________

For the actual turnip, it's really your preference what to do with it. I never ate a turnip until a brief stint in Maine back in 94 and they just boil/steam mash it on the plate with butter, salt & pepper which is good but... I found this recipe a few years ago, that is a little more creative and it too is good. http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cheesy-turnips-and-carrots/Detail.aspx