Turnips-collards recipe?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by redtangsoo, Nov 21, 2010.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

LOL -

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

My husband's uncle washed collards in the washing machine once. Yes, there was alcohol involved. No, it didn't work. :mrgreen:

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've actually heard of that, and don't know why it wouldn't, no detergent, of course!! :lol:

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually I like to pull pre-cooked collards out of the freezer, throw them straight into a cast iron skillet using real lard and fry them them up. Or you can first cook some bacon or fatback in the cast iron skillet, once the bacon is done pull it out and chop up a few peices and throw back into the bacon grease then toss the collards in and stir till heated through. Serve with hot pepper vinegar (preferably home made)

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: I ain't eating nothing that looks like cooked grass! :ack: I was raised 'in the country' and my dh was not - he laughs cause he loves that kinda stuff and I won't touch it!

6. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

We also add a little crushed red pepper and sugar too - helps cut the bitter taste.

Water - (not a whole lot because they are basically steaming) good portion of salt, crushed red pepper (light) or black pepper, bacon grease, and boil the water high. Add the collards that you washed 100 times and removed the major left over stem part and have already sliced in strips. Add the strips to the boiling water and let them Boil away..... until tender and add some sugar. Also to help reduce the odor some take a large sweet onion, peel it, and cut an "X" like slit in the top. Place the whole onion in the pot. You can chop it with the collards if making a large batch (5 or 6 heads makes about 1/2 of a larger pot - smaller than a stock pot though) or pull the onion out after cooking.

7. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Uncle Bob's Collards at Carlie C's are the closets to homemade you can get. They are in their frozen food section and made by a local company.

8. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

I learned my recipe from my Granny. It was to boil the water in a big pot first with smoked neckbones, then add the cut up turnips, 1/4, and then put the greens in the pot after you've pulled the neckbones out of the water and given them to the dogs outside.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:jester: The last bit!

10. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Par

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Hey, it was all in fun. Politically we don't agree but the gorilla is a good guy from what I can tell.

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

We would agree politically if you had an ounce of intelligence. :jester:

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I agree, but I like the three pounds of brain/intelligence I got! :mrgreen:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  14. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else, but this country cookin' sounds good to me...'course, I grew up in the UK, ate octopus in Spain and enjoyed fish heads in Japan so that probably doesn't mean much!

P.S. love some Carolina 'Q and everything that goes with!

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

my grandma used to make turnips and the only members of my family that would eat them were my grandfather and me. i wish i knew how she made them. i remember she added sugar to them but they still remained savory. butter maybe. let us know if you find a recipe you like.
    P.S. I never ate a collard green until I met DB. They only stink while they are cookin'. They are soooo good when cooked right.

DB's wife

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Eastern or Western style?

17. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

veg. oil
    1 white onion- large chopped dice
    1 slab of smoked bacon
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    red pepper flakes
    salt
    pepper
    apple vinegar
    chicken stock

wash collards
    destem and chop- set aside
    heat large stock pot, add oil, onions, smoked bacon, red pepper and sugar
    heat till onions are soft and sugar dissolves
    degalze with vinegar and add collards
    toss them around and add chicken stock
    cook till soft , add salt and pepper to taste
    i like to add pulled sugar cured ham from cracker barrel at the last min and allow the collards to heat the ham.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://bitsandpieces.us/

Auxie likes this.