Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by gcoats3, Jun 29, 2016.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop. Windows 7. When opening computer a screen popped up. Free upgrade to Windows 10. I accepted. Once downloaded I am unable to log on. On for a brief moment I see two options F2 or F12. Then screen goes blank. Unable to do anything. I have misplaced/lost my original operating disks, etc. All I have is a dead laptop. Any suggestions. If so, I need simple step by step instructions. I am not a computer geek. Thanks for any advice.

2. gcoats3

Figured it out.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sorry, my solution was to Marry my IT Support (33 years on the 2nd, poor girl)!

She loves it when I get home on the weekend and lay my computer problems on her.

4. gcoats3

Congratulations!

Hught likes this.
  5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

i have a dell pc quad core with four gig of memory. I have a day or so left to do the free upgrade. I am running windows 7 64 bit. will it upgrade me to windows 10 64 bit?

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

yes it should

7. Rockyv58

I am out right now and won't be home till after 5pm. About how long should it take? Today is the last day

8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It typically takes 2-5 hours.

9. Rockyv58

got it installed.

10. Rockyv58

having issues. Windows always loads the NVidia driver and when it does I lose signal to my monitor. Win 7 I was able to get into safe mode and go to the control panel and change the driver to a generic driver.
    I can not get into safe mode to do that windows 10.

11. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

The free copy that I got was for a 32 Bit and I have a 64 bit also. I don't know if that has anything to do with the weird problems I now have.
    I'm still trying to get used to the Windows 10. Sometimes when my 'puter has been shut down for a while my monitor only shows the right half of my screen and it's on the left side of the screen. I've noticed that after I leave everything on for several hours, the screen becomes centered.
    I liked DOS much better, but had to change when most new programs came out in Windows.