UTI...

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by harleygirl, Dec 31, 2009.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I've been giving mattie tuna juice to clean her out, what esle can I use?

2. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Found this info on the internet, Probably need to call and check with Dr Debbie before giving it to her just to be safe. Never fails, pets and people always get sick just before a holiday when the docs offices are going to be closed for a couple of days.

Poor baby, hope she feels better soon....

Cranberry juice does not allow bacteria to cling to the cells that line the walls of the urinary tract. It also acidifies the urine and since the bacteria cannot thrive in an acidic environment, it helps in keeping urinary infections at bay. Cranberry extract is a better choice as pets usually dislike the taste and therefore a concentrate can be forced in easily.

Cantharis, a homeopathic remedy, is also an effective treatment of urinary tract infection. It is highly recommended if there is blood in the urine. It also eases the discomfort caused by straining while urinating. Cantharis provides quick relief if two to three pellets of 30C potency are given at hourly intervals. Simply put the pellets in the cat’s mouth and they will be absorbed by the mucous membrane automatically.

3. harleygirl

Thanks, I saw those, not sure if I can get mattie to drink cranberry juice. :lol:
    If I can find it in pill form, I might be alright.

Thanks a bunch.

4. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Easy way- find out how much cranberry extract she needs (probably only a few cc's), load up a syringe with it, wrap Mattie in a towel with head sticking out (kitty burrito style), tip her head up and shoot the extract in her mouth. You may need to recruit DH's assistance, but this method worked on one of my dogs when I had to give them some yucky liquid meds. She'll be plenty PO'd, but it worked on mine. A Mom's gotta do what a Mom's gotta do.. :) Good luck and hope she feels better soon!

5. harleygirl

kitty burrito. Love it!

Thanks Jean!

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

How can you tell when a cat has a UTI? :confused:

7. harleygirl

When she tries to go pee only a little bit comes out. She seems to be having trouble going and tries to go every 2 minutes.

8. nsanemom22

:cry: poor baby ...

9. back on it

back on it Guest

a gun.

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

:evil:

You're gonna be sorry when the cats take over the world. :mrgreen:

11. back on it

back on it Guest

are the chink places closing.

12. KDsGrandma

:evil::evil::evil:

Wanna play horsie?
    :beathorse:

13. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I think Miss Mattie cat is just upset at that silly costume you made her wear! :mrgreen:

Poor lil thing. Hope she feels better soon.

back on it, :boxing:

14. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

we call it burrito puddin',also get another syringe filled with water as as soon as you dose him give him water so he has to swallow.we did that when pengie was on heart pills.

15. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

One of my greyhound girls is prone to UTI's - my vet recommended we give her the cranberry pills with every feeding - so far so good. She will eat the capsules as long as we mix them in with her dry food and a little warm water.
    She loves her food so we don't have to make a doggie burrito!

16. nsanemom22

Is this another ******* to add to the ignore loser list?...I don't think it's Seabee.

17. KDsGrandma

I do, he always liked to pick on me about my cat. He says she doesn't like conservatives, but I think it's just him. She likes Harley. :jester:

18. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Hey Harley, I just heard about another way to give pills to cats. Does Mattie like butter? Smear the pill with soft butter and put some on your fingers for her to lick off, then slip the buttery pill to her. Down the hatch it slides! (or so I heard...)

19. harleygirl

Her appt is at 10:20 with Dr. Debbie.

She's not piddling on the floor anymore but only peeing a teeny weeny amouont in her littler box. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sunday update: She's back to her old self again.
    It'll be fun giving her meds.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  20. harleygirl

Blood test came back with kidney disease & failure and she's becoming anemic.
    She's getting 2 doses of fluids over the next 2 days AND one more round of blood work after that to see where her levels are.
    We just need to keep her hydrated AND eating (she's only had/wanted tuna for 5 days now and that wont sustain her).