Virus/Malware Scan

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by JenniferK, Dec 27, 2012.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I've got a virus, I know I do. I can tell by the way websites load and the fact that occasionally facebook asks me for a credit card.

I've ran Spybot S&D, and McAfee, and it doesn't find anything. I can't run AVG because the free trial ran out, and even when I try to uninstall it, and go to AVG's website, Google redirects me, regardless of which browser I use.

Can anyone recommend a free (or cheap) software I can run to search out this issue?

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Go download Symantec 45 day trial. Uninstall all of the others. Norton 360.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Comodo, Avast, Avira, and Malwarebytes all come to mind.

And unless things have changed in the last year or two I'd stay away from McAfee and Symantec as they are resource hogs.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I usually use:
    Ad-Aware
    AVG 2013
    Spybot - Search & Destroy
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    CCleaner

I usually go and put their shortcuts in a folder on the desktop called utilities. Then reboot into safemode
    then open the utilities folder and run each one of them. Running them in safe mode sometimes fines items that won't be found in normal mode

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Better have a resource hog than lose everything you have. Freeware sucks and you get what you pay for.

6. YoGnomo

YoGnomo Member

Start the computer is safe mode, run a program called rkill, scan with UPDATED MBAM (free version), and you will take care of most things. Also, doing a system restore will help is a lot of cases.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and I've never had an issue.